Monday Night Meals

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,660
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Need to ask the hive mind for somewhere to eat in Central London (between the city and mayfair as that's where we each work) on a Monday night - not too expensive, 2 friends, fairly easy in terms of what we like

Any Ideas?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Brick Lane?

Although to be honest the quality of curry in Brick Lane is pretty poor.... Shampan is the only one I kind of like

http://shampanbricklane.co.uk
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641
    S'not between mayfair & the city is it ;).

Depends what you're looking for mate. It's a pretty broad question. There are probably hundreds in that area.

You wouldn't do too badly going to Polpo in soho (italian). Very popular, not massively expensive, really good quality nosh.

Main issue with it is you can't book and it's so popular there's a long wait - but given it's Monday you should be alright.

If you don't mind a bit chainy but still nice there's a number of Wahacas (mexican) you can go to. I'm a big fan - even if you really really go for it with cocktails and food you really won't spend more than £30 a head (more like £15-20).

If you fancy a cheap but tasty steak flat iron in soho is a good shout too. Very small but very nice. Really good value steak - good quality - but smaller quantities.

10 cases isn't bad too (a little pricer), with usually a good selection of wine too.

Anyway, any of those would be nicer than Dexels ;). Although you'll be hard pressed to find a burger in London that's tastier than the burger in Dendy's on the Denneweg...
  • Indians on Drummond St if you're veggie.
    I'd recommend a short hike up Edgware Road for Lebanese (some non-alcoholic) but one of you'll have to stray into the other's manor. I really like Cafe du Liban.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If its not a romantic meal, Rodizio Preto is great. Its an all you can eat Brazilian barbeque. They just keep bringing different meats to your table until you collapse in a meat induced coma.

Very good value but not somewhere to go on a first date.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Monday night is BYO night at the Hawksmoor - http://thehawksmoor.com/wine-club/intro.
  • ddraver
    Appreciate that Rick - just looking for somewhere that someone has been to so we don't end up choosing somewhere rubbish and expensive. Both of us are new in London.

Very much not a first date Eke....
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,089
    Went to the other branch of Polpo on Cowcross Street one lunch time with work and it was very good. The food is IIRC Venetian, and comes in a kind of tapas format. Need to go back in a non-work capacity.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Dishoom in Shoreditch is excellent, I'd assume the Covent Garden branch is equally as good.

Around Carnaby Street you have Pitt Cue and Flat Iron Steak very close to each other. You can't book either and Pitt Cue always has a err que and I will get told off for recommending it to more people!! If you do go, insist on sitting downstairs and grab a pint from a local whilst you wait outside..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641
    Well? Where did you go?
  • ddraver
    Went to the Wahacas in St Pauls...was ok enough.

unfortunately I got told exactly how much of a d1ckhead I ve been for the past 2 years by my ex housemate so it was pretty bad as monday nights go.

Thanks for the recommendations though, definitely put them on the list for next time (with a better friend hopefully...)
    - @ddraver