Help, i have done something really stupid

Baracus
Baracus Posts: 32
edited February 2014 in Workshop
i have a Roubaix SL4 sport, my first ever road bike.
So i decided to lower the handlebars and cut the stem, i read up online and thought i knew what i was doing.
I took the headset apart and exposed the carbon steerer tube. I saw a metal part inside(which i later discovered is called an epansion plug).
So I cut right through the tube and cut a few centremeters of the expansion plug with it.
Coming to fit everything back together again, i found that the plastic washer(?) that sits in the metal plug didnt fit anymore, as the plug is tapered, and i had cut off the top thin bit, so i just put it aside and fixed everything back up with out the washer.
Now, have i wrecked my fork? or can i still ride it in this state?

please help :(

Comments

• Get a different expansion plug
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I don't really understand your description (pics would help) but if you accidentally cut through the expander plug you may just need a new one. What's important is that you are able to pre-load the headset correctly, and that you can fit your required spacers and stem without violating the manufacturer's directives.

If in doubt, LBS.
  • Ok I will try and take pictures of the various parts, or get online pictures

Ugo, I can just by a new plug? That simple? How do I remove the old one?
  • Now I don't think I understood either... :roll:
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    edited February 2014
    If you have a carbon steerer and have cut a bit of the expander plug you need to get a new expander plug before you can safely ride with that fork again. The expander plug serves to reinforce the steerer where the stem clamps (as well as allowing bearing pre loading).

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf ... ide_r2.pdf
  • Major, sorry to be a pain, but what does preloading the headset mean?

Ugo, You said buy a new expansion plug, so I meant how do I remove the old one, there is no leverage to pull it out
  • Baracus...

Given you are not sure what is what, I suggest you eat t he humble pie and head to your local LBS which will assess the damage and sort out your bike. If you do it wrong it can be dangerous
  • majormantra
    Baracus wrote:
    Major, sorry to be a pain, but what does preloading the headset mean?

Ugo, You said buy a new expansion plug, so I meant how do I remove the old one, there is no leverage to pull it out

Preloading means adjusting the top bolt so the whole headset assembly is held together tight enough that there is no play, but loose enough to allow the bearings to move freely.

As Ugo says though, it sounds like you are in over your head.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    So in answer to your Subject ...

Yes ...

but hopefully not terminal ... ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have to say I admire your confidence in taking a hacksaw to your £1500 bike when you don't really know what you're doing. And doing so with some determination if you've sliced through the expander bung as well as the steerer. Chapeau as some cyclists would say.

I'd echo the suggestions above that you take it to a bike shop. Hopefully you haven't written off the forks and they can salvage the situation. Maybe ask them to show you where you went wrong / how to do it properly? Go armed with chocolate hobnobs.
  • keef66 wrote:
    I have to say I admire your confidence in taking a hacksaw to your £1500 bike when you don't really know what you're doing. And doing so with some determination if you've sliced through the expander bung as well as the steerer. Chapeau as some cyclists would say.

I'd echo the suggestions above that you take it to a bike shop. Hopefully you haven't written off the forks and they can salvage the situation. Maybe ask them to show you where you went wrong / how to do it properly? Go armed with chocolate hobnobs.

I'm only a beginner and I'm not too sure admire is the right word. More like astounded by cutting down the "stem" - oops.

As a recent disciple of The Rules I can only pass judgement on this and let someone else or the OP rectify their self made problems.

I'd definitely have got advice BEFORE taking a saw to my bike.

Various words ending in t,p, d, and e
  • ok, quick update
    yeah yeah, i know i was stupid, implusiveness and trying to solve every problem is one of my weaknesses, it goes with the territory of what i do.

so i called my lbs but they dont open on mondays but i managed to buy an expander plug from a different lbs.
    Unfortunately he couldnt book my bike in to fix it, and after a little chat i was a bit more knowledgable :)
    I got home fully intending to take the bike down to my lbs today to get it sorted, but after a few hours of trying my best to ignore it i cracked and pulled out the toolset.
    I tapped down the old plug and it fell in the tube, so i turned over the bike and got it out, fitted the new one, had to trim the stem down a little, scary!
    Put the handlebar back on and top cap, then i preloaded(thanks Major), once everything was nice and firm i bolted up the handlebars and its all fine now! :D
  • keef66
    Sounds like you've worked out what you're doing now. Well done for persevering. I'm relieved about it so you must be well chuffed!
  • keef66 wrote:
    Sounds like you've worked out what you're doing now. Well done for persevering. I'm relieved about it so you must be well chuffed!
    thanks
    chuffed doesn't even begin to describe it, at one point I was terrified that I had wrecked it
  • Wow! I am torn between being impressed by your confidence and perseverance and amazed at your apparent fearlessness! I shall opt for admiration!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I am still trying to get over the fact that he cut the steerer tube while the forks were still on the bike!!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Baracus wrote:
    ok, quick update
    yeah yeah, i know i was stupid, implusiveness and trying to solve every problem is one of my weaknesses, it goes with the territory of what i do.

so i called my lbs but they dont open on mondays but i managed to buy an expander plug from a different lbs.
    Unfortunately he couldnt book my bike in to fix it, and after a little chat i was a bit more knowledgable :)
    I got home fully intending to take the bike down to my lbs today to get it sorted, but after a few hours of trying my best to ignore it i cracked and pulled out the toolset.
    I tapped down the old plug and it fell in the tube, so i turned over the bike and got it out, fitted the new one, had to trim the stem down a little, scary!
    Put the handlebar back on and top cap, then i preloaded(thanks Major), once everything was nice and firm i bolted up the handlebars and its all fine now! :D

I don't like the sound of "I had to trim the stem down a little". I would still go for a trip to your LBS if I were you. Trimming down stems is not a sensible thing to do and also suggests that you have cut too much off your steerer. The stem is one of the component that prevent you from having to have major facial reconstruction so modifying is a very bad idea. . Put it this way, I would not ride your bike after what you have done to it.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    This has to be a joke, Shirley.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    I think it's genuine. And don't call me Shirley.

I hope that what he meant to say was trimmed the steerer, not the stem.

You can't really trim a stem.

Then again, I didn't think you could trim a steerer with the bung still inside...
  • Ok that was a mistake, I meant steerer not stem
    Take it easy, I am new to all these terms
    Obviously the plug was out before I trimmed it the second time, it was too long, that was initial mistake, i wasn't really going to do that again
  • majormantra
    keef66 wrote:
    Then again, I didn't think you could trim a steerer with the bung still inside...

In defense of the OP, I (sh*t hot pro mechanic that I am) once sliced a starnut in half, because I'd forgotten to knock it down before cutting the steerer. We all make mistakes.
  • Kudos for your honesty and for your initiative, even if it was a bit hurried. I'd recommend getting a quality bicycle maintenance and repair manual, Park Tool's "Big Blue Book" or Zinn's, "Zen and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, etc. for the future. Worth the price and handy as well.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    OP, I wasn't having a go. I was just under the impression that you'd cut through the stem.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    OP, I wasn't having a go. I was just under the impression that you'd cut through the stem.
    No worries, I didn't take offence

I will get those books for future reference, cheers