what size bearings for chris king BB?

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Any one know what size bearings are fitted to chris king exteranl bottom bracket? All I know is he i.d. is 27 mm.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    CK make their own bearings, so I don't think they're a standard size. Their BBs are designed to last a long time with regular servicing. What's wrong with yours, and have you tried servicing it?
  • 02gf74
    you know what - I reckon you're right .... that is the conclusing I have come to after googling.
    In my opinion it is idiotic making a part that is already avaialable en masse for few quid; no doubt it accounts for the £ 150 price tag.

And it is not as if they last forever; the BB comes fitted to my latest frame and the bearings feel gritty; I will have a go at washing them out and regreasing but I am not convinced that'll fix the problem. Also when I fit a truvativ crank, they do not spin freely but I am tightening it by hand so no doubt have put too much preload - we'll see what they are like when done up to correct troque.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Truvative cranks do not use any preload as they clamp on the ND bearing so you are most likely brinneling the races.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    thanks for the replies

LH crank amr has printed the torque for the bolt - 12 - 15 Nm.

... anyways, today I removed the BB cups and took apart the beaing - there is a thin split ring holding it together - interestingly on LH side it was fitted incorrectly hmmmm :roll: . all cleaned up and regreased so no longer get grittiness when turning.

Placed a piece of copper tube over over the 8mm allen key marked at 12 in and did it up to the recommended torque.

The cranks spin better, maybe 2 or 3 turns but not as much as I expected. Once I finish the build and ride it, then I will see what happens. :?