Hydration Pack advice

Scoobster
Scoobster Posts: 363
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I currently have an old Camelbak Mule and really like it but occasionally I find that when using a full reservoir, things can get a bit cramped in the pack, so I am looking for advice / experience / recommedations for something with a bit more room inside to carry a few extra bits on longer rides. My Mule is fine for my normal riding but would like to have to little bit more room for bigger days.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think the newer Mule is a bit better than the older ones (I had an 04 version until it got nicked) - the HAWG is big (Hold Alot of Water & Gear), Dakine packs are well set up and have a decent reservoir system.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I've got the new hawg and it seems to be a good size...still gets tight with a full bladder!
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Camelbak Blowfish
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kammybear wrote:
    I've got the new hawg and it seems to be a good size...still gets tight with a full bladder!

The bags bladder, or yours? :wink:
  • Being swayed towards the Mule for defo.......... any other alternatives before I push the buy button?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Dakine Drafter. Loads of tech features, super comfy even when full and just an all round awesome bit of kit ;)

I considered a Mule until I saw the Drafter.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Dakine Drafter. Loads of tech features, super comfy even when full and just an all round awesome bit of kit ;)

I considered a Mule until I saw the Drafter.

That, or better still the Dakine Nomad. Big capacity (Drafter is 12l from memory, the Nomad is 18l), all pockets have 180 degree opening to make access easier, excellent organiser pockets, superb Hydrapak bladder and an excellent strap system that means that as much or as little as you put in it the stuff stays put! Helmet carry pouch, fleecy pockets for phones and sunnies. What's not to like?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Not looked at Dakine, but I am in the same boat as the OP. My old mule is just a bit too small for all day rides and so I took to having a good rummage inside a new one and found it to be slightly bigger (maybe by about 2 litres). I had a look at the Hawg too, but I doubt I'd ever want to carry that much stuff, let alone all day on my back. I'll be going for a new Mule.
  • Sparky is the main compartment easier to access then in the new one (with a full bladder)?