Headset help

davidwilcock
davidwilcock Posts: 123
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I need to buy a headset for a frame I bought. The frame is a 2011 Wyndy milla massive attack I did some measuring and came up with the following (via help from he cane creek headset finder - put the details in myself as the bike wasnt already in)

Upper Headset Fit
IS 41 / 28.6
Upper Headset Type Upper Head-tube Type Stem Clamp Diameter

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;

Lower Headset Fit
IS 52 / 40 (36)°
Lower Headset Type Lower Head-tube Type Crown Race Seat Diameter Bearing Seat Angle

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;

Think the 'IS' means it's integrated (There are ridges internally in the frame).

Which headsets would be suitable? Dont think anymore than £40 is necessary to spend is it?

Many thanks,
David

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
  • Thanks for that, I also found this useful - http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

I'm pretty sure from seeing both of those that its integrated. But with the top part of the head tube internal measurement being 41mm in diameter and the bottom being 51mm, I'm really struggling to find something.

I couldn't see an appropriate on on the FSA site sadly.
  • The steerer tube is tapered, 1,1/8" at the top, 1.5" at the bottom
  • Integral, not integrated. Im learning something today.

It seems to be a tapered integral system as here: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/ ... 011Web.pdf

But the 41/51mm diameters dont seem readily available?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    In that case can you not obtain them directly from Wnydy Millar?
  • Just for the purposes of anyone in a similar position (and the future potential use of the search function).

Wyndy milla use an unusual head set size which they generally import from Italy. Anyone needing one can get one from them directly.

I cant imagine the audience for this will be too large but just incase...
  • Other option is to visit your local LBS and let them try all the different types of bearing they have to make sure you have the correct fit. The LBS I went to also had a handy tool type thing which they insert into the cups and it tells them which size/type of bearing is needed.