Giant XTC Napa (circa 2001), worth fixing up? Or replace?

alienmuppet
alienmuppet Posts: 22
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Hi - I'm new to the forum so please be gentle.
I have a Giant XTC Napa that I bought second hand a few years ago. I'm wondering whether to do some work on it to get it back up to scratch again, or to just sell it and buy something newer.

Some info:

1. The frame seems to be in good condition.

2. Rox Shox rear suspension, seems to work okay.

3. Shimano Deore gears rear, changes smoothly.

4. Shimano Alivio gears front, will not change to largest cog, smooth on smallest and mid. Not sure why it won't change, it's like there's nothing there when I move the change lever.

5. Front forks are SR Suntour Magnesium MG-92.

6. Wheels are Zac 2000, I can also see the words "Safety Line".

7. Tires are IRC Kujo DH (someone said they were knackered but seem okay to me, plenty of tread).

8. Breaks are Julie Magura, need attention, probably need bleeding. Rear break barely stops me, front break isn't much better.

I like the bike, but it does need a bit of cleaning up. It also seems pretty heavy. I use it for all sorts; road cycling, a bit of downhill over rough terrain occasionally, riding around Rutland Water, etc.

I'd like to start cycling more to get fit but thought I better decide first what I'm going to do first with regards a bike.

I don't really know what is current and what is good having been out of the loop for a long time. I haven't really done any serious biking since I was a kid, except for doing some cycling in Wales a few years ago when I first got this bike.

I don't mind spending a bit of money on repair / upgrading or just replacing the entire bike. I've just been drooling over some Trek Fuel EX 8 (only 2010 model but still..) - I'm guessing that would be quite an upgrade?

I hope this isn't too vague - Any helpful ideas and comments would be appreciated!