1X10 build - can I have some help please?

FishFish
FishFish Posts: 2,152
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going to build a Charge Duster - and I want to do it fairly cheaply using second hand or bargain bits if I can get them. Some of this is easy like post, saddle pedals, bar, bell...

I'm stuck on the drive chain though.

I was going to buy a second hand quality 3x crankset and put a 34 or 36t in it and then I need a derailleur, lever and cassette - the latter being 11-36. These may have to be bought new and I need advice.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the components I mentioned - I am well out of my depth in the gears and don't want to waste too much money by buying and realising I've made a mistake? The use will be XC not enduro or dh or going to the post office for that matter.
Many thanks for any advice.
...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not just get a proper single ring set up with a thick/thin ring?

As for the rest, pick Sram or Shimano and a budget.

Probably get better buying advice in Buying Advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Budget?
    Single ring - plenty of choice all around the same price £30-50 I have a Raceface Narrow Wide but also use a Works Components Thick Thin which I think is the better ring, the RF is noisy when it's muddy and I don't think it will last as long ether.
    The rest is dependant on your budget, I use XT rear rear mech, SLX shifter, KMC chain,XT or SLX cassette and SLX crankset which keeps everything light enough, reliable and at decent enough price level.
  • FishFish
    Thanks but I can only see new single ring set ups like zee - trying to save money.
    Obviously SRAM or shimano - but it is the spec that gets me - I cant get a conclusive answer to the short medium cage for the front and rear teeth and then the Sram X9 seems to come with both shifters - certainly on CRC - and I really only want the left one.

• FishFish
    Windy - thanks - I had been tempted to go for the RF. Does the XT rear mech have any size range issues that I need to research?

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    In 1x10 you can run any rear mech you like except short Zee or saint. a GS mech will look nicer than an SGS, but both will work. My budget choice?

Zee shifter (if you need one)
    Deore 2 piece Cranks running works NW ring - remeber you might need narrower chainring bolts though
    Zee Wide range rear mech, or for more budget option try deore Shadow +
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    FishFish wrote:
    Windy - thanks - I had been tempted to go for the RF. Does the XT rear mech have any size range issues that I need to research?

The Works Components is cheaper and in my opinion better the teeth have a better cut and are taller and it stays quieter when the conditions are bad, I wouldn't buy a RF again.
    You can use any XT rear as far as I know.
  • FishFish
    benpinnick wrote:
    In 1x10 you can run any rear mech you like except short Zee or saint. a GS mech will look nicer than an SGS, but both will work. My budget choice?

Zee shifter (if you need one)
    Deore 2 piece Cranks running works NW ring - remeber you might need narrower chainring bolts though
    Zee Wide range rear mech, or for more budget option try deore Shadow +

Thanks - beginning to get it - appreciate all your help!

• You say you can't run the short zee or saint with 1*10???
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    By short Zee I think he means the DH as opposed to the FR version.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    mcnultycop wrote:
    By short Zee I think he means the DH as opposed to the FR version.

Yeah theres two versions of the Zee mech, one is wide range for All mountain/Enduro and the other is for DH. I think they are both short cages though.

Just remember if you are going for a narrow wide ring you NEED to have a rear mech with the clutch system not just any 10 speed mech.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    *AJ* wrote:
    Just remember if you are going for a narrow wide ring you NEED to have a rear mech with the clutch system not just any 10 speed mech.

No you don't, I'm running a normal XT on my Maxlight with no issues whatsoever.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    only reason for not choosing the zee mech is that you need a long cage to handle the 11-36 cassettes that you'd probably choose for the range
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    edhornby wrote:
    only reason for not choosing the zee mech is that you need a long cage to handle the 11-36 cassettes that you'd probably choose for the range

Zee Mech (if you choose the right one) handles 11-36 cassettes by design.
  • *AJ*
    mcnultycop wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

Zee Mech (if you choose the right one) handles 11-36 cassettes by design.

Correct, I run a zee mech with 11-36t XT cassette no problems!
  • *AJ*
    peter413 wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

No you don't, I'm running a normal XT on my Maxlight with no issues whatsoever.

Apologies if this is the case.

I was lead to believe that the chain would bounce about too much to let it stay on the ring without a chain device.