More info on 0% APR deals?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I was just flicking through MBUK, and noticed 0% APR at places like formby cycles, leisure lakes etc...

All of them say about a 10% deposit, so on a £1500 bike you put down £150 then the payments are spread across 3 years (at formby cycles)

Has anybody done this? And has anybody brought the payments down by paying a bigger deposit?

I have sent them an email but think they are closed today

Thanks

Kev
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• I can't believe the swear filter stopped me saying F.L.I.C.K.I.N.G lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You never get the best deals with interest free credit. If you use a interest free credit card you have freedom to shop around.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    I would assume that you could pay a bigger deposit to reduce payments. I know for a fact you can at Paul's cycles. (That's what I did for my Jekyll)
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Read the small print, on some 0% deals if you miss a payment you are liable to pay the full balance plus the interest within 28 days. I know someone who got caught out like that.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • i got my 2012 cube on 0%

i found the bike i wanted and waited until Oct 2012 when the new models came out, i got £400 off the rrp of £1400
    i paid a higher deposit to reduce the monthly payment and then got the balance over 18 months.
  • stubs wrote:
    Read the small print, on some 0% deals if you miss a payment you are liable to pay the full balance plus the interest within 28 days. I know someone who got caught out like that.

isn't this the case for almost all credit regardless of what you are purchasing?
  • stubs wrote:

isn't this the case for almost all credit regardless of what you are purchasing?

Yes it is, although I have never missed a payment in my life do won't be an issue
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I don't like the idea of 3 year finance on a bike, I dont want a bike sitting in the corner of my room taunting me with the payments I am making everytime I dont ride it....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • It will be paid off before that, maybe 6-12 months, I tend to get bulk amounts of money in, which means it's much easier for me to get something this way, rather than waiting 6-12 months for it
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I bought a bike from leisure lakes on interest free credit. You can put down a 10% deposit or bigger as I did and spread out the payments. Best to talk to the retailer. My bike was reduced in a sale and I got it on interest free credit.
  • I use it,, it is like spending somebody else's money ! lol.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    I use it,, it is like spending somebody else's money ! lol.

I use it because its easier to pay a bill than it is to save.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:

I have read if you are signed up to a direct debit on some 0% finance deals they will try and take the full amount from your account if you miss a payment, that puts you in the red and in the poo with the bank. I am no expert but I think a normal finance deal they cant do that to you you have the chance to catch up or renegotiate your payments.

Moral is read the small print or it might come back and bite you on the bum. I prefer to put it on a credit card then juggle the cards to get a free balance.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • You never get the best deals with interest free credit. If you use a interest free credit card you have freedom to shop around.

Most definitely this, especially as you say you get lumps of cash coming in at irregular intervals. With an interest free card you only need to make the minimum payment each month and can pay off larger chunks when you get paid.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • All the bikes I am looking at I cannot find them at any different price anyway lol, guess that's what you get for 2014 or 650b bikes lol, thanks all for your help
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango