takmadoon - can't see it

feemackenzie
feemackenzie Posts: 130
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Heading out to loop up Tak Ma Doon (first time), Fintry, Strathblane and then Crow Road today. Small problem - the top of the hills are covered in cloud.

This'll be fun :-)
Felt z95 - loving my first road bike

Comments

• Hmm, over 4h later and not back yet... ;-)

Not done it yet, the only time I went all the way over the Crow Road I got drowned in rain in Fintry and had to cycle all the way back soaked to the skin, not much fun. Look forward to your trip report!
  • Are you home yet?
  • home but not the way I wanted. Post -lunch in Kilearn, partner rode through edge of a puddle and I went through the other edge.

Only to find it was 1/2 foot deep - split helmet, split rim and a few x-rays at hospital.

Nothing broken on me but a chance to have a really long chat with British Cycling about claiming against the council for damage, etc.

Sorry - don't know how to rotate the picture
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Ouch, looks nasty, hope your feeling better soon - keep us informed as to how the claim goes
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Blinking 'eck! That is one hell of a pothole. Worth reading around the issue as I don't think you can claim if the hole has not been reported before, the CTC has some good info:

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/faq
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any of you Glasgow riders ride in clubs, or just yourself? Looking for some people to ride with during the week.
  • sjmclean,
    These are the guys I ride with. Very informal and relaxed. Plenty of rides organised and supportive cyclists.

http://www.meetup.com/Glasgow-Road-Cycling/
  • Crickey. Hope you are ok.
  • Sorry to hear about that pal, but glad nothing broken. You've put me right off trying it at least until its dry.!
  • sjmclean,
    These are the guys I ride with. Very informal and relaxed. Plenty of rides organised and supportive cyclists.

http://www.meetup.com/Glasgow-Road-Cycling/

I've seen them set off as I live not a million miles away from the Botanic Gardens but usually prefer the solo stuff. They sound good if you want a group ride though.
  • home but not the way I wanted. Post -lunch in Kilearn, partner rode through edge of a puddle and I went through the other edge.

Only to find it was 1/2 foot deep - split helmet, split rim and a few x-rays at hospital.

Nothing broken on me but a chance to have a really long chat with British Cycling about claiming against the council for damage, etc.

hope your ok mate...looks nasty that.

lesson learnt I hope "never cycle through puddles" :wink:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • HOLY CR@P!!!! That's not a pothole, that's a coalmine! That's it I'm selling my new bike and not going out in Glasgow for fear of disappearing down one of them and never coming out again! :lol::lol::lol:

The roads are shocking just now though. I wrote a strongly worded letter to the council many months back. They bounced it from department to department for ages, then sent me the generic reply that I actually told them in the letter NOT to send me as I didn't want a reply like that, and if that was the reply then they could shove it. Basically they blamed a particularly harsh previous winter blah blah blah. Irrelevant! I've working in lots of cold countries with my job and their roads are A ok. Plus I don't care how bad the winter was. Doesn't mean you cant fix the potholes (of coalmine in this case) properly.

Glad that the injuries weren't too bad though.
  • shame this as spoiled by the usual poor quality of the roads.

i go up crow road & then round to the tak ma doon road, that back road is in shocking condition, having said that its a great loop & tough (so i think!) 8)
  • update on claim:
    - British cycling's London lawyers referred it to Scots lawyer (as I'm in Scotland that makes sense). Letter from them has not made great reading - unless I have a witness who says the pothole hasn't been repaired for a long time, then the council will be able to claim 'we inspect the roads on a regular basis and this hole appeared after the last inspection.'

So instead of proceeding with lawyer, and potential legal costs, I'm either going to go direct to the council and claim against their insurance OR claim against my household insurance. Either way, it's wrong that the roads are not fit for purpose (I drive as well so pay enough tax!)

Me - whiplash improving after 2 ostiopath treatments.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    home but not the way I wanted. Post -lunch in Kilearn, partner rode through edge of a puddle and I went through the other edge.

Wow thats not a pothole, thats a crater! Hope you are ok!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Goonz - thanks, yes OK. The whiplash is pretty much gone, new helmet bought and claim against the council posted. We'll see.