Opinion on American Classic

Larry_who
Larry_who Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi !

I'm new on this forum and this is my first thread.

I'm on my way to get a set of new wheels. After going from place to place and asking around, I've come up with a nice little list with stuff like the Shimano RS81 C24, Fulcrum Racing 3 and Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

But someone at a bike shop told me about American Classic Road Tubeless and the Argent. They both fit my budget, and on paper, seem lighter. The thing is, I never heard of this brand. I'm not much of a gear ''connaisseur'' so I don't know all the brand outside of the very well known one.

If someone have some experience with those wheels I would love to hear what you guys think.

I'm 90kl and I climb. There is virtually no flat where I ride and I'm starting do 100K and more this year.

Thanks and sorry for my English,

Comments

• paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Hi, I own a pair of 420 aero3, they are great wheels, really great quality, I'm 95kg and have had no problems with thousands of miles put in them.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    oxoman wrote:
    I run victory classics on my Moda and cannot fault them light and bomb proof. Very underrated wheels as not on many mainstream manufacturers bikes.

+1, run them on my Moda as well! I'm not that experienced when it comes to trying different wheelsets but mine have stayed true for 2.5 years now on some pretty awful roads and they seem stiff enough to me. Lovely hubs on them as well.

My LBS owner swears by them and he is a top gravity enduro rider who also uses them on his road bikes.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I have a set of hand built wheels. Stans rims and AC hubs .they weigh 1182 grms the pair and have been superb.
    Jon at Just riding along built them for me. I weigh 80/85 kilos [ depends how much iron I pump] no fat and have had no issues. 20x24

Im building a new set with xr200 rims [ silver ones] some superlight hubs from the far east and sapim super spokes. These will weigh around the same but have a bigger spoke count.

If the super spokes hold up ok, I will get the Stans re spoked with the super spokes and that should drop the weight to under 1150 a pair,,,,,,,,,, awesome

Both sets are clinchers.
  • Its good to hear !

I heard they where substantially wider then the average in there price point, but does that affect how rigid they are?
    Do you sacrifice agility for comfort in that case ?

My last wheels were not sporty at all and would like something with a bit more bite.

That said, maybe I won't even notice but I'm curious.

Thanks a lot for the answer :D !

(Edit): I ride a 9 speed cassette. On there web site the road and the argent are 10/11 ready. Ive been told that they are still compatible with mine but its weird that they don't specify it on the official page.
  • After some more research there not really wider then the other
  • I have had a pair of American Classic 420s on one of my bikes for 3 or 4 years, I've done hundreds of miles in the Peak District and Pyrenees and have never had a problem. A more recent purchase was fitted with Fulcrum 3s and I reckon that the American Classic wheels are better, but it's a close call. I've recommended the American Classics to loads of people.
  • Maillot wrote:
    A more recent purchase was fitted with Fulcrum 3s and I reckon that the American Classic wheels are better, but it's a close call. I've recommended the American Classics to loads of people.

I had those wheels under my radar, but I got a better price with the Shimano and they are pretty similar, so the RS81 win for this one.

The american classic cost a bit more but are lighter (around 300 grams for the road). Ive been riding for five years now, but its the first time I change parts on my bike that are not maintenance require so I have no idea if 300 grams means a lot. Usually when I want to ride lighter I loose weight or I ride more to get tougher and that's about it.

Its a lot more difficult then I envisage it to be :shock: :D

I feel safer with the Shimano because I know the brand and the lbs who sell them are Shimano approve so they replace them on the spot if anything happen. Also they are carbon...

On the other hand maybe the AC will give me more because I don't pay for the brand name and really for the product. They also look better on paper.

Good thing I still have 2 good months on the roller to think about it. :lol: