Fork Service

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right so im looking to get my fox forks serviced as I haven't got the balls to do it myself also im too busy with work, what im wondering is am I better off going through Mojo or going through tf tuned and having them Push-tuned aswell?

Im not sure what the push tuning will do - or if its worth it?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tune them for your weight and riding style - if you don't know what you want or need I wouldn't bother.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dawesy92
    Ahh right. Might stick to Mojo then, as im not too sure about that.. :) cheers cooldad! :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you find your forks are doing a good job then just get them serviced but a push tune (if your fork can be) is not much more expensive and given how crap fox forks are for the majority of people a push tune is a worthy thing to get.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Unless you can say what's wrong with your forks there's no point getting them tuned.
    I would send them to TF Tuned for a service. I found their customer service better than mojo
  • Where abouts in the UK are you?
  • Dawesy92
    Im in Derbyshire, I cant find anything wrong with them really apart from they're getting abit squidgy from all the muddy water and crap ive been through. And they could do with some new decals :)

I'll drop an email into TF Tuned tonight too and get some prices from both, while im here.. do you think they would be able to get and fit me a remote lockout? its able as its the F32 RLC 100mm travels :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    That would be expensive. You will need a new compression damper and a lockout lever. Th compression damper needs to have a knob which the cable connects to and a spring inside the damper to release the lockout.
    Bar mounted lockouts are crap anyway.
  • Dawesy92
    Ahh right.. doest bother me..just would have been nice to not have to reach down on rough trails thats all :)
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Well if the trails were rough you wouldn't be using the lockout, so...
  • Dawesy92
    When ive just been climbing and then the trail changes quick.. as I said it doesnt matter anyway..
  • rockmonkeysc
    The main issue with them is they don't last long at all. The levers are hopeless in muddy conditions and just jam up solid.
    Rockshox Poploc and Pushloc levers are also hopeless.
    I have had all three levers and they all ended up in the bin very quickly.
  • Don't think you need to replace damper on Fox forks - just the top cap assembly as all the work is done in their lever unlike RS. You will nee a top cap kit and a lever kit. Lever kit not cheap!!
  • my forks have been pushed tuned but thinking i could do with the 10mm spacer going back in to to reduce them to 140mm
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The main issue with them is they don't last long at all. The levers are hopeless in muddy conditions and just jam up solid.
    Rockshox Poploc and Pushloc levers are also hopeless.
    I have had all three levers and they all ended up in the bin very quickly.

Yup, my poploc lever stopped working after one month.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Unless you can say what's wrong with your forks there's no point getting them tuned.
    I would send them to TF Tuned for a service. I found their customer service better than mojo

I second that, spoke to Mojo about my 2013 Fox float 34's and they couldn't get me off the phone quick enough. Spoke to TF Tuning and they couldnt be more helpful, discussed the pros and cons of having them Elite push tuned, different oil weights and volume spacers to use to get a more progressive feeling fork.

Choice was made and off they went to TF, had them back 2 days later and they have transformed the bikes handling, plus I dial my own high and low speed compression to suit the trails. All round excellent service
  • Dawesy92
    Forks are at Mojo, should be back esrly next week I think, had no problems with them so far.. helpfull and friendly.

Will see how they feel when they are back :)