Schwalbe news

Lewis A
Lewis A Posts: 767
edited February 2014 in MTB general
I just saw this on pinkbike, it seems a bit complicated, interested to know how it works, how pressures vary from chamber to chamber, etc.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Schwalbe-D ... -ride.html
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

Comments

• adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Something like this perhaps...

http://tubliss.com/
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Something like that yeah but for bicycles not MX - looks good I reckon although the weight per wheel means you really have to worry about flats vs a normal set up.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nice idea but with the price of current Schwalbe tyres already around £90 for a pair these are certainly going to be over £100 and I don't care how good they are I won't be spending that mucb on a pair of tyres. They might not puncture but they will still wear quickly like any soft compound tyre.
  • Nice idea but with the price of current Schwalbe tyres already around £90 for a pair these are certainly going to be over £100 and I don't care how good they are I won't be spending that mucb on a pair of tyres. They might not puncture but they will still wear quickly like any soft compound tyre.

Never understood the sentiment of being scared of spending money on tyres. What will save you when you are flying downhill at 50kph and hit an off camber section too fast: the £100 shadow plus mech or the £30 tyres?
    Remember Rule #5
  • rockmonkeysc
    Normal tyres have more grip than most people know how to use.
    You can get more grip from good riding technique than fancy tyres. I have followed riders on the same tyres as me down a trail and not been able to corner as fast because of suspension set up and skill issues.
    I generally use good quality, sticky tyres but I wont pay more than £80 for a pair.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the £100 shadow plus mech or the £30 tyres?
    mine was £32 and my tyres are £25 each. I'd not pay over £30 for tyre. my ability does not outstrip the tyres ability to grip just yet :lol:
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I generally use good quality, sticky tyres but I wont pay more than £80 for a pair.

You don't have to...

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/m78/k289/mtb-26.html
  • rockmonkeysc
    adamfo wrote:

You don't have to...

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/m78/k289/mtb-26.html

I know and I don't.
    The rrp for several of Schwalbes tyres is getting very close to £100 for a pair. These dual chamber tyres will almost certainly be well over. That's far too much for bicycle tyres.
  • Very close?

Go onto an LBS or a chain. Any Schwalbe Evo will cost you £49.99. Never seen em on sale either! Bike-Discount all the way! Especially when they had a 26" clearout last year!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    it is expected to be compatible with conventional tires and rims while weighing less than 200 grams
    So looks like this is more a replacement for conventional tube/tubless than a new tyre, 200g is akin to a normal mid weight 26" tube, so while heavier than tubeless or a lightweight tube, it looks like it's only a 60-80g penalty.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    The rims they were using weren't normal, they had to valve holes and seemed very shallow.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Seems like an interesting idea.

Oh, and...
    ... these are certainly going to be over £100 and I don't care how good they are I won't be spending that much on a pair of tyres.

Yeah, because that would be nuts, right? Not like, say, spending 2.5K on a bicycle, a Nukeproof, perhaps... :)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607