150mm trail/enduro bike

bennyy
bennyy Posts: 141
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
currently riding a 2009 stumpjumper elite, with 140mm forks, ideal for the trail riding, but my mates all either have a dedicated trail and downhill rig, or a best of both bike, so I am after a 150mm trail/enduro bike to be used as a 'do it all' type, fair bit of trail riding, gisburn, stairburn, Cannock chase, llandegla etc, but still be a solid strong bike to get me down a dh track, budget I would like to aim for under £2000 second hand, 2 of my mates have nukeproof mega's, so would prefer not to go for one of those. current short list is:

transition covert 2012/2013
giant reign 2013
commencal meta am
mondraker dune
even a mondraker foxy if they can handle some stick

now obviously I will want a test ride, but I would like a bit of info, if you have ridden any, what did you think, any which are not worth thinking about or any bikes ive missed?

cheers.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    None of those bikes will take a lot more than the Stumpy. To get any real difference you would need to go up to a 160mm all mountain bike.
    To be honest I would say the Stumpjumper is spot on for Cannock and Llandegla. It's a good bike.
    Are you just looking for an excuse for a new bike.
  • bennyy
    the 2009 stumpy is only 120mm rear travel, like you said, perfect for trails, not so much when they go downhill instead and im left sat at home twiddling my thumbs.

probably is more of an excuse for a new bike, but without a doubt, no matter what anyone says, its a worthwhile upgrade as a 120mm stumpy isn't going to last long on a downhill run.
  • rockmonkeysc
    120mm travel is plenty. It's all about how you ride it!
    Geometry is more important than suspension travel.
    Have a look at Nukeproof Mega TR, Trek Remedy 29 and Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29 or 26.
    Don't be put off by the Mega's 130mm rear, it's great for tearing down black trails.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    if you don't fancy a Mega TR,a Transition Bandit took mine out to the alps last year ride local DH stuff works a treat
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    What About A Lapierre Spicy:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-41142/
    Bit different dont see many on trails.
  • rockmonkeysc
    wmorgs wrote:
    What About A Lapierre Spicy:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-41142/
    Bit different dont see many on trails.

Where do you ride? Spiceys are very common. Bit of a tank and a fragile frame unless you get the carbon one.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Santa Cruz Heckler or Bronson would be perfect - Nomad if you prefer a 26er.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bennyy
    thanks for the replys guys, I would love a Bronson, I drool over one everytime I pop into my local evans, just out of my budget im afraid, would also love an sb66, same again, my local je james have a 2013 covert and a dune also so im going to pop in for a nosey, I think I am leaning towards a covert to be honest, just one of them things, no reason why, just seem to like them more. try to sort a test ride out somewhere first.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Couldn't you keep your stumpjumper for trail, and buy a DH bike for when you do DH? Why go for a compromise if you can go better for the same money?
  • rockmonkeysc
    A good DH bike is a lot more expensive than a trail bike. Worth the extra cash though, I had one bike for everything but now have a trail bike and a dh bike.
  • bennyy
    I could have two bikes, but with a £2k budget it would mean having 2 mediocre bikes rather than one good bike, plus I don't really have the room for another bike, my garage consists of my audi s4, I have a road bike on the wall, hybrid commuter, and my trail bike. I had a glory back in 2011 but now I would prefer one bike rather than two.

anybody got any experience of the 2012 onwards stumpy evo? I got a feeling it might pedal better than the above, but whats it like in terms of strength and stiffness for the downhills?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    But I'm saying you keep the stumpy for trail/ xc and use the DH for gnarly stuff, so your budget will be unaffected. If you do want one bike though, orbea rallon maybe?
  • bennyy
    It would as i will selling stump to part fund the new bike, i will take a look at the orbea cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Stumpy evo is a very good bike. It doesn't pedal any better than anything else though, it relies on propedal like a lot of bikes to keep it stable while pedalling. Get a test ride on one.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    shame your not willing to get a nukeproof as chain reaction has 2013 stock, in am and tr flavours for 2 grand at the minute , lot of bike for the money
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • bennyy
    Thanks for the reply guys.

A mega is a definite no unfortunately as they are great bikes, we will be like the Orange 5 crew you seek to see everywhere, a group all on the same bike lol.

I am thinking a 2012 covert is the way i would like to go, with a few simple upgrades to bring the weight down it should be a cracking bike.
  • This has literally just been listed on paulscycles!!! It's a bargain mate

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p4351/CA ... ORE-2-2012

Cannondale Claymore 180MM front and rear fox! Fuck me! £1900! get it!
  • If I hadn't bought my KTM last week...I'd jump at that deal! £1850...another £160 for an OEM Rockshox and you're away! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    tarbot18 wrote:
    shame your not willing to get a nukeproof as chain reaction has 2013 stock, in am and tr flavours for 2 grand at the minute , lot of bike for the money

Cheap prices on the frames too.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I think geometry has a lot to do with how capable a bike is rather than it's travel. My Ibis has just 130mm of rear travel yet thanks to the slightly longer fork and angleset it's slacker than most 150mm front and rear bikes, even some 160's. Definitely worth a look at a used Santa Cruz Blur TR, amazing geometry, tough as hell and can still climb up practically anything, in fact even an old Blur 4x is an incredibly capable bike, "only" 115mm travel out bike but it can out-descend many longer travel bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I like the 5010, but only if someone else is paying...
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    I have a stumpy evo 2014 26 as i cant be doing with 29ers etc and its the best bike ive ever had great climber and awesome on the downs its such a solid bike best purchase ive ever made prefer it over my heckler i had last year well worth considering
  • bennyy
    thanks for the replys guys, I am just going to see whats about when the time comes, I have a few weeks to wait yet, and go hopefully try a few, I think its between transition covert 2012/2013, commencal meta am 2012/2013, stumpjumper evo 2012/2013.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    bennyy wrote:
    A mega is a definite no unfortunately as they are great bikes, we will be like the Orange 5 crew you seek to see everywhere, a group all on the same bike lol.

You really give that much of a stuff about what you look like out on the trail to discount what you yourself describe as a "great bike"? Wow.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I like the 5010, but only if someone else is paying...

Yes. And yes.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • bennyy
    bennyy wrote:

You really give that much of a stuff about what you look like out on the trail to discount what you yourself describe as a "great bike"? Wow.

yes, they are nothing special, there are many other great bikes out there, many better than the mega