Is there anything wrong with these??

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking at some tubs on Ebay and come across these, now even at the Buy It Now price these seem a steal.
So there has to be a catch? Only I don't know what it is.

Wheel experts among you, do these seem legit?

Cheers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301086704250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Comments

• Only thing... if they have only covered 200 miles, how come there is so much oxide (white dust) around the hub holes? That's what I normally see in hubs that have seen a few more miles than that...

I always get a bit suspicious when people claim silly mileage like that... you spend 1700 pounds for some wheels and you ride them 4 times, then you sell them at less than half the price?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    you really need to see them in the flesh before buying. could be a costly mistake if bought blind. as a minimum ask seller- have they had any repairs, do they run true, any damage of any kind whatsoever?
    it's easy for a seller to say a wheel's only done 'x' miles. how would anyone know from a photo?
  • Only thing... if they have only covered 200 miles, how come there is so much oxide (white dust) around the hub holes? That's what I normally see in hubs that have seen a few more miles than that...

Are you sure that is aluminium oxide? It could possibly be an artifact resulting from trying to take a flash photograph of something that is both black and fairly reflective, with the rebound from the flash where the bend for the spoke head is looking 'white' against the black finish. I had exactly this problem when trying to take some pictures of a black-finished wrist watch.

Of course, they could have been someones winter training wheels! :)
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.