Road bike for my dad!

aytri
aytri Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

My dad is looking to buy a road bike for around the £250-300 mark.

I've tried to persuade him to go second-hand, but he's more interested in the warranty and peace-of-mind of buying new - which I suppose is fair enough. He'd be open to buying second-hand from a bike shop (again, for the peace-of-mind aspect), but unfortunately eBay/Gumtree etc. are out of the question. He doesn't know enough about the mechanical side of things to go down that route, and we live at opposite ends of the country so it's going to be hard for me to meet up with him and help him out :(

I have a few ideas that I've put to him already, but I'm just looking for some unbiased third-party advice so that I can show him some cold, hard "proof"!

What's the best road bike out there at that price point at the moment? If anyone could post a link I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
aytri

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited February 2014
    Look at Triban3 in Decathlon stores country wide @£300 it usually gets good reviews by owners, you could go and see it then tell your dad what you think.
  • aytri
    diamonddog wrote:
    Look at Triban3 in Decathlon @£300

That was my first thought, although the new model doesn't have a carbon fork, and it doesn't have Shimano 2300 either (it has Microshift instead).

They do have the old model, but only up to size 54 - which I suspect will be too small.

Not sure the new model is really worth the money. Thoughts?
  • diamonddog
    I don't think you will get anything new for that price that is much better but I could be wrong. Second hand is an option but unless you know what to look for that could be problematic IMO it's risky.

I can't help with the geometry of the bike as it is impossible to find on google etc.
    Can your dad go to Decathlon and try a 54 for size of either version? if it fits then the older red version is the better option. Other options are to up the budget and/or search on the sales.
  • diamonddog
    Carrera Virtuoso at Halfords is £379 with 2300, if it's a goer make sure it's all checked by someone knowledgeable about bikes as Halfords don't have the best reputation mechanics wise.
  • aytri
    diamonddog wrote:
    I don't think you will get anything new for that price that is much better but I could be wrong. Second hand is an option but unless you know what to look for that could be problematic IMO it's risky.

I can't help with the geometry of the bike as it is impossible to find on google etc.
    Can your dad go to Decathlon and try a 54 for size of either version? if it fits then the older red version is the better option. Other options are to up the budget and/or search on the sales.

I think that's what he'll do - try the old/red model in a 54, and maybe get the new/white one in a larger size if the 54 is too small. I'm just worried about the microshift stuff... is it supposed to be any good?
  • aytri
    diamonddog wrote:
    Carrera Virtuoso at Halfords is £379 with 2300, if it's a goer make sure it's all checked by someone knowledgeable about bikes as Halfords don't have the best reputation mechanics wise.

Sadly, I think that'll be pushing the budget a little too far.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    You say that Dad doesn't know enough to buy on e-bay; do you?, if so have a look and send him some links for him to make 'final' desision (sic)
  • diamonddog
    edited February 2014
    Micro Shift is just a different way to change gear and if it is set up and works OK then he's out riding, it's not as good but if he gets into it he could perhaps save up and buy a new groupset when things wear out.
  • aytri
    What about the Carrera TDF? If it came down to the new Triban 3 with no carbon/microshift vs the TDF, what's the better buy?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab2
  • diamonddog
    aytri wrote:
    What about the Carrera TDF? If it came down to the new Triban 3 with no carbon/microshift vs the TDF, what's the better buy?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab2
    Looks OK to me go and check it out, again bear in mind what I said about getting it checked if you get it.
    I have 2300 on the turbo bike and it works fine.
  • aytri
    It seems like the Carrera TDF and the Triban 3 are the only real contenders at the sub-£300 mark. I'll get him to go and check both of those out.

If anyone has any other ideas to throw into the mix I'd appreciate it!
  • If your dad isn't in a hurry, it may be worth holding your horses and just keeping an eye on the Halfords website. They have fairly regular short period sales, so you could pick up a bargain. Just make sure that you double-check the bike when you get it, it's common knowledge that their mechanics leave a lot do be desired, unless you're lucky enough to have a real cyclist setting the bike up for you. I'm also speaking from personal experience having bought a Halfords-Carrera bike myself.

The Triban, though considered good value for money, does apparently have issues with bearing-life, so your dad could end up doing bearing maintenance/replacement sooner rather than later if he intends to do a lot of riding.

At that price-point though, you are at the bottom end of the 'proper' bike market, and you generally get what you pay for, with different bikes having different strong-points. Generally, the more you pay, the better bike you get ( as long as you get the right bike for your purpose). At the entry level end of the market, you get a lot more bike for spending a little more money, but as bikes get more and more pricey you start getting a little more bike for a lot more money.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Being naturally nosey, I've just had a quick butchers at the Halfords website and found these.

Carrera Zelos £269
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_888017_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Carrera TDF £329
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810691_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab2

Carrera Virtuoso £379
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810691_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab2

They all seem to have their nice points, though I have to say, none of these bikes are specced on the site with carbon forks. Also, the site seems to have limited sizes for each of these, though it's always worth ringing your local store to see what they've got in stock, including possibly old stock at sale prices.

The Zelos is NOT a £600 bike as claimed, they tend to do this with some bikes to get interest, over-pricing and then knocking the price right down. It doesn't look too bad though. Weight is same as the TDF, but it has less gears; 14 compared to the TDF's 16. On the other hand, it features a compact handlebar (a little easier to get into the drops if you're not very bendy), looks like it has a compact chainset and lower rear gears, but again, worth checking at the store.

The TDF has more gears, but looks higher geared than the Zelos, with more of a racing gear selection, which could be a problem if you live where theres lots of hills!

The Virtuoso, I know you said it's out of your price range, BUT: it's noticeably lighter than either of the above bikes (.5 kilo, so just over a pound in old money, which suggest a lighter frame and/or wheels) and has a compact chainset, which means more lower gears available.

They all have mudguard eyelets, though the TDF only has panniers eyelets (not a problem if you use the clips that come with pannier racks). It doesn't say which has the clearance for biggest tyres though, which may be a factor in comfort. The Zelos has alloy forks, which may be what keeps the weight down to the same as the TDF, so the Zelos frame itself may be heavier than the TDF frame. Alloy forks may be stiffer and less vibration absorbing than steel forks, but that's not necessarily so. As the frames all appear to be different, it'd be worth while him actually trying them out instore if they're available, though stems can be changed or moved to get a more comfy position. Carbon forks can be had at bargain prices on Ebay if your dad decided to upgrade, though he'd need to check for mudgaurd eyelets and tyre clearances to aid a match with the frame.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • aytri
    I'm just hoping the red/old Triban 3 in a 54 fits him - seems like it can't be beat, especially when it's down at £250 at the moment.

I'm kind of anti-Halfords in general, and I know he'd hate to have to spend more money to get it checked over. I can do it when I see him, but that might be some time away and I know he wants to get out on the road ASAP.

Before I "press the button", any ideas other than the Carreras and the Triban 3?

Thanks for your help guys!

aytri