New headset

mattbabs
mattbabs Posts: 86
edited February 2014 in The workshop
I have a hybrid (Revolution Courier Race Disc) that I mainly use for short rides with the family. I recently did a long muddy/bumpy canalside ride and the bike was fine. Yesterday I got the bike out and discovered that the headset had pretty much seized up. The ring that sits at the top of the head tube has cracked and I guess that's let lots of water and muck in. I've removed the headset and the bearings are all rusty so I think it would be better to replace it completely? The headset is 1 1/8 inch and threadless (it's made in Taiwan from what I can see - Chin Haur CH2810). Apart from the size do I need to know anything else when looking for a replacement? I found this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fire-eye-fully-integrated-headset-2012/rp-prod58426 on Chain Reaction. Would it be suitable I don't want to spend much as generally the bike only gets light use?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes you need to know the type of headset it is.

Read all about the headset standards on Parktools. Also all about what tools you might need depending on the type of headset it is.

If you can't work it out take clear photos and post them up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the advice about the Park Tool website. My headset is a conventional threadless so I was looking at the wrong type. There is a Ritchey one that should be OK, I'll probably get that. Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mattbabs wrote:
    The ring that sits at the top of the head tube has cracked
    The centring wedges are split by design........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Perhaps I didn't describe the part very well, it's not the centering sleeve. It sits on top of the top bearing to keep muck and water out. It's definitely cracked as it's a rough, "jagged" split through the ring. Anyway I need to replace the headset as it's in a mess.
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    What are the chances? I have the exact same bike (2012) and I've realised I need to take a look at the headset. My experience has only been with quill stems so I'm feeling very much out of my depth with aheadsets.

If you do find out what part(s) you need please update this thread so I can avoid too many foolish mistakes.

Cheers
    Bob
  • I got the M:Part headset and fitted it the other day. The guy in the bike shop was helpful and told me to bring it if I was struggling. I did find it hard to get the bottom cup out without a special tool but it worked loose in the end. The new headset was easy to fit. The bearings are already installed so there was no messing with grease and losing bearings everywhere. It was only £12.99 for the headset but it would have cost £25 to have it fitted by them. I wouldn't do it on my road bike though as using a hammer and a bit of wood seems a bit crude!