loose Shimano RX100 brake levers

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Both brake levers, Shimano RX100, on my old bike are loose. There's about 1cm of very easy movement until the actual pulling of brakes starts to occur. This means they rattle like hell as I'm going along. How to fix? Thanks.

Comments

• You need to tighten the cable... un-clamp it from the caliper, tighten and clamp it back
    left the forum March 2023
  • ben-----
    > You need to tighten the cable... un-clamp it from the caliper, tighten and clamp it back

I don't think that's what it is though. The brakes themselves are held a tiny distance from the wheel rims while the levers aren't pulled at all. The cable is tight. If I were to tighten the cable further the brakes would be on all the time, or at least rubbing on the rims.
  • Mushy cables?
    I would try to fit new cables, they might be gunked
    left the forum March 2023
  • ben-----
    Hmm, I think it's something in the levers. It's something that occurs before the cables come into play. Before they're engaged at all. I don't know though. You could be right. I suppose I need to look inside the levers to see if I can see what's going on.
  • ben-----
    Just for the record, replacing cables, outer and inner, sorted the problem. Thanks.