Dartmoor Hornet 2013 any good?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at used bikes, and came across this, as I am still fairly new, what does the spec look like, and what is the frame like?

Many Thanks

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1510882/
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The frames are well respected (Polish made), and get good reviews, although it is a hardcore hardtail and certainly not an XC machine it often gets rated poorly for XC use due to the riding position as I recall, what do you want to use it for?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mainly trail riding, bike park wales hopefully sometime this year, and other trail centres
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • The Rookie
    I'd read up on some reviews and be sure the way the Hornet rides is the way you want your bike to ride or whether a more conventional trail hardtail would suite you better. The test I read (can't recall where right now) was a grouptest of trail hardtails with slightly longer than 120mm forks and in that test the Hornet didn't do well for the reasons mentioned above, also it's a heavy and stiff (read unforgiving) frame, more like an Orange MsIsle than a conventional HT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your replies I appreciate them, the other bike I was looking at, was this, as my Vulcan needs a fair amount doing to it, to get it to where I want it, I think it may be worth getting something like this ...

http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1506247/

A better bet?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • The Rookie
    Personally I'd rather spend that on sorting the Vulcan, you could have a very nice bike for that and ideally suited to what you want (see link in my sig to my Kraken framed bike, though for trail use I'd suggest 120mm forks).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It says that one is sold now. The fork on it is really bad. Marzocchi's ATA forks were extremely unreliable and not that good on the odd occasion when they work.