Seatpost shim material

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to make a seatpost shim for a slipping seatpost because even tightening the clamp bolt till it squeaks plus lots of anti slip paste isnt stopping it gradually creeping down. The traditional shim material is a coke can but looking at a 2 liter pop bottle it ocurred to me that the PET plastic is strong, thin and less likely to slice the top of my thumb off. No idea of the long term life of it, though looking around some trails it seems to be next to indestructable.

Anyone ever used a PET pop bottle or got any other non metallic materials to chop up.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A coke can is very slim, a plastic bottle much thicker, doubt you'd get it in the gap, plastic will also 'creep' slightly.

An aluminium can doesn't create a particularly sharp edge, avoid steel though (Pepsi!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You could get a cheap set of feeler gauges and you can have any size you want, might work for you?
  • stubs
    iwilldoit wrote:
    You could get a cheap set of feeler gauges and you can have any size you want, might work for you?

Good call never thought of that one. Not sure it will work for this sloppy worn old frame but I will store that one for future use.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The plastic would be good if the bike gets struck by lightning then you will be isolated and if you get hit then the bike is ok!!
    WIN WIN
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • stubs
    FishFish wrote:
    The plastic would be good if the bike gets struck by lightning then you will be isolated and if you get hit then the bike is ok!!
    WIN WIN

:lol:

I have fitted a slip of plastic and tried it up and down the road bouncing on the saddle will have to see if it works on a proper pedal. Tried several bottles and I can say that Tescos own brand diet Cream Soda is the thinnest plastic I found but Waitrose own brand Ginger beer tastes better.