Measuring hubs? Centre to Flange

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Need some help (probably from Paulo)

I have decided with the help of a friend at work to build some wheels for the first time. I am currently trying to put the numbers into the online DT Swiss calculator.

When you are measuring flange distance, how do you measure it? To the outside or inside of the flange? Thanks

Brett
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Then press the hub button, top left. It has pictures and a spoke calc. ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The middle of the flange. The rear is a bit trickier to measure than the front
    left the forum March 2023
  • brettjmcc
    Thanks Paulo.

My first foray into building my own - quite excited
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • what are you building?
  • brettjmcc
    I guess it's a bit of fun for bike I am building up. I have wanted to try building my own.

I got a set of 105 hubs for under £40 and some CXP22 rims for about the same. Just need to get the spokes. I have seen in the past you have recommend the Novatecs and 465 or Ambrosio Excellence, but when I priced them up they were doubling the price. This should come in for about the cost of what I may have paid at Ribble/Merlin.

The hubs and rims were probably cheap, as they are 36 hole, but as this will be for a training bike I am not particularly bothered (well at the moment)

I will however, be coming to you for advice hopefully in the future, as next year is my big four O, and I fancy trying to build myself some nice rims, so would very much appreciate thoughts on hubs and rims.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • The cheapest good quality spokes are ACI Alpina... cyclebasket is the cheapest around for those, I reckon
  • brettjmcc
    Thanks Paolo, I was going to order from Rose and some DT Competition Spokes, but this looks a grat option and probably cheaper too :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon