Rule #5

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pantani98 wrote:
    Rule #81

does it help if i currently have a slipped disc C6, my operation to have it replaced is in 2 weeks oh and I had no water bottle or puncture repair kit either.

fecking nails (stupid) me
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Got in 101km today, wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiindy as hell! So unrelenting.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,044
    Cygnus wrote:
    Officially suspended for tomorrow in the South.

Unless you harbour suicidal tendencies..
    Southerners have always been known as southern softies.

pfft

lovely ride in the south this morning, slight breeze, can't see why the northerners make such a fuss
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • It was very windy in Kent today but the sun was shinning and the roads were dry so I could resist it no longer and ventured out! Was very hairy at times, every so often there was a gust that seemed to pick the bike up and move it sideways a couple of metres! On the plus side I shaved a minute off a 6.5km Strava segment PR!
  • zcapp96 wrote:
    It was very windy in Kent today but the sun was shinning and the roads were dry so I could resist it no longer and ventured out! Was very hairy at times, every so often there was a gust that seemed to pick the bike up and move it sideways a couple of metres! On the plus side I shaved a minute off a 6.5km Strava segment PR!

Wind assisted doping?!
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I did a nice 100km audax on Saturday. Fair enough it was windy, wet, hailing and at points floods so deep that bikes had to be carried up on to slippery grass ridges above the water but I finishe din good time and got to eat cake!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • DavidJB wrote:
    You do have to ask yourself...what's the point? in certain weather.

Yes. I set out yesterday into the County Durham hills but the wind was awful so I turned back and did the same milage in the lowlands. My cycle club did go up into the hills and came back with stories of them being blown off their bikes into ditches etc.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just two for the club ride - and I rode for 10 miles into headwind to get there ...
    On the way back there was a strange lack of tow behind the other chap ... I tried to do my stint, but my legs were shot ...
    Still - good ride and it meant I got out rather than sitting on my backside doing nothing ...

Rule #5 still in force ...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    DavidJB wrote:
    You do have to ask yourself...what's the point? in certain weather.

agreed, and listening to the incredible wind and torrential rain outside actually makes the turbo seem a bit nicer!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Was a bit pushed for time so couldnt do the club ride so did 40 miles solo in the heavy rain and strong wind. 20 miles into the ride I realised I'd put the wrong overshoes on, feet were squelching! Just dug in and got it done. I had planned a hilly ride, but with the gusty wind, its the descents that are the most dangerous imo so I just kept it flat and pushed. Enjoyed being outside, don't mind the conditions, a greater sense of accomplishment.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I managed 30 miles, was good against the wind - got the heart rate up :)

Wind never puts off these guys - watch this at 0:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qgjyqibwY
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I dont mind it when its damp or cold. But when it hammers down and its forecast strong gusts, its demoralising. I prefer to get a decent turbo session in. But after 3 weeks of it you soon start to get demoralised of that :lol:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Y'alls are soft. There is no such thing as suspending Rule #5 as it defeats the entire purpose. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • i managed a 25 mile ride around Salisbury on Sunday morning, but the wind was ridiculous. As a newbie who only started riding last September, I am officially fed up with the weather! I can only dream of warm weather and dry roads, not needing 3 layers of clothing, full on waterproof gloves and neoprene overshoes!!
    Please someone tell me it will get more enjoyable??!!!
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • il sole wrote:
    i managed a 25 mile ride around Salisbury on Sunday morning, but the wind was ridiculous. As a newbie who only started riding last September, I am officially fed up with the weather! I can only dream of warm weather and dry roads, not needing 3 layers of clothing, full on waterproof gloves and neoprene overshoes!!
    Please someone tell me it will get more enjoyable??!!!

It will! This time of year is particularly soul destroying as it's been winter for a long time and the weather is showing signs of improvement but it's still stubbornly bad. But remember it's still early February.

It's so nice when you can get out with nothing more than a short sleeved jersey and shorts, feels like freedom compared to three layers, gloves and everything else!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    It's so nice when you can get out with nothing more than a short sleeved jersey and shorts, feels like freedom compared to three layers, gloves and everything else!

Being wearing that all of the winter, apart from the extras of arm warmers & cycling cap & full finger gloves. Don't get cold unless I stop, i think this year has being very mild.

Suppose to Snow here in for the next 2 days though, if you believe the met office weather forcast. :shock:
  • itboffin
    only 1C this morning but no wind or rain and i totally smashed it, seems all this riding into headwinds is fairly good training.

this evening i went to assess the mess my SS was in after Friday's little trip and found a nice chip of flint embedded well into the rear tyre right the way through the to the casing, now that was lucky it didnt pop especially as i was san repair kit and no way to call for help. :shock:

BgI95RrIgAAXCZq.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • chris_bass
    I made the most of the lack of wind today, 32 miles before work, 42 after! was a bit chilly but was great to be out there!
  • Grill wrote:
    Y'alls are soft. There is no such thing as suspending Rule #5 as it defeats the entire purpose. :P
    Pop to the track Wednesday night. Try the 90mph gusts for size ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Mind, if you're brave enough, and can get down to West Wales, I reckon you could blast quite a lot of strava segments tomorrow.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • You lot are all mental !! :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Founder member of the Southern Softies club here.
    2 hours on the turbo on Sunday and an hour most days during the week. I'm not venturing outside until the wind drops to below a 7 on the beaufort scale
  • itboffin
    So this morning i'm all suited up for the morning commuter my wife looks out of the window and says you're not going out in that are you? take the car

duh!

by halfway the rivers that were previously Windshire roads had sprayed and splashed enough water on me to soak every pore of my being in fact my feet have only just dried out.

happy days
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    was racing in that wind at longcross. top sprint speed in the headwind section was around 16-17mph! :) was seriously good fun.

tomorrow and saturday look like fun... more racing at longcross into the same headwind!
  • I just had to fight the wind to move forward on a descent I usually take at 30mph. This wind is insane!! I don't think I had full control of my front wheel at any point on my ride home, it's just dangerous out there. But boy is it good fun!!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I'm sure you would all like to know that I had a lovely 50 miler this morning with absolutely no wind whatsoever. Sun was shining and it was a nice and warm 5C.

Seriously though, hope you're all ok down there - be careful and don't go out if it's silly weather.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • chris_bass
    had my garmin nesar an open window whilst i was on the turbo (gps was off) and it recorded 250m of climb! never had more than 40 before., shows how crazy the weasther is messing with the barometer!
  • itboffin
    epically bad today trackstanding style for a lot of the ride but managed a lumpy 45.5 miles more interesting than the wind was the flooding, i'd say 4-5 miles of valley road was under 8 inches of water, i've emptied out the water in my frame but there's still some sloshing around, might be the wheels or perhaps in the fork?!?

more of the same tomorrow :?

im tired :cry: