Frank Wrathall

mick_cornick
mick_cornick Posts: 175
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
On the mobile to his girlfriend, whilst towing a trailer and this is not "dangerous"? At least a result but less prison with a lifetime driving ban would be a better one.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112452

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Been following this on & off since I first heard about it and glad the driver got the punishment he did. It could have been more severe but this has also affected the family business which sold it's assets cause of Frank's stupidity.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dangerous driving usually involves positive decisions (choosing to drive too fast, too close etc) careless (the sentence says this was actually death by careless and not just careless which isn't imprisonable) driving is usually just a lack of care (don't always try and use common English meanings for the law!) and that seems to fit the bill in his case. Plenty of factors will have been taken into account when sentencing which are rarely reported.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    redvee wrote:
    Been following this on & off since I first heard about it and glad the driver got the punishment he did. It could have been more severe but this has also affected the family business which sold it's assets cause of Frank's stupidity.

well his family run touring car team sold its assets as he was the driver the team was built around (though it infuriated me his racing license wasnt suspended whilst the trial was ongoing) but the family business Id always assumed were the engine tuning company the team were sponsored by, so shouldnt be affected.

but does anyone know why they switched the charge from dangerous to careless, dangerous is supposed to be "far below" what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and it seemed fairly clear they had the evidence he was on his mobile phone, had cctv of the overtake and collision and witnesses, so surely driving illegally is "far below" what would be expected and obviously the CPS/police wouldnt have gone with the "dangerous" charge to begin with if they hadnt thought the evidence stacked up properly.
  • Why would they suspend his racing licence? Should they have taken away his TV licence too? A racing licence has absolutely nothing to do with a road licence
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Why would they suspend his racing licence? Should they have taken away his TV licence too? A racing licence has absolutely nothing to do with a road licence

thats not the case, the MSA can revoke competition licences in cases where the driver has been given a road licence ban so the two can be linked, the only exception is I think they relaxed the rules involving bans for speeding points so you dont automatically always lose a competition licence.

but theyve always reserved the right to suspend a licence on account of either on or off track behaviour, or simply not renew it as you have to reapply every year, for any reason they chose, so the option was there, that they didnt take it up was their choice, its just not one I personally agreed with.
  • awavey wrote:
    Why would they suspend his racing licence? Should they have taken away his TV licence too? A racing licence has absolutely nothing to do with a road licence

thats not the case, the MSA can revoke competition licences in cases where the driver has been given a road licence ban so the two can be linked, the only exception is I think they relaxed the rules involving bans for speeding points so you dont automatically always lose a competition licence.

but theyve always reserved the right to suspend a licence on account of either on or off track behaviour, or simply not renew it as you have to reapply every year, for any reason they chose, so the option was there, that they didnt take it up was their choice, its just not one I personally agreed with.

As a National A Race licence holder, that's complete news to me. At no point have I given MSA any information about my road licence nor at any point have I ever been asked to declare the status of my road licence in either original applications or the annual renewal. Based upon that, how would MSA know that I'd lost my road licence? (I haven't, BTW, it's full and clean).

I also have to say that the principle of innocent until proved guilty would apply here too.

I'm not defending FW BTW - I think he deserves everything he's got and more.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH