FSA BB30 Crankset Compatibility

Cathalnoel69
Cathalnoel69 Posts: 11
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi folks, Can anyone tell me if a BB30 FSA gossamer Crankset is compatible with Bottom brackets other than BB30. Thank You

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    BB30/PF30 shells only - main problem is they're too narrow - regular BB is 89mm wide whereas BB30 is 68mm wide means there's little space for bearings to go in a conventional BB shell. If you could fit a bearing, it would be so narrow it wouldn't last very long.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    edited February 2014
    Monty Dog wrote:
    BB30/PF30 shells only - main problem is they're too narrow - regular BB is 89mm wide whereas BB30 is 68mm wide means there's little space for bearings to go in a conventional BB shell. If you could fit a bearing, it would be so narrow it wouldn't last very long.

Err... Not sure where your are coming from with that statement. 68mm has been the standard for BSA BB shells for decades and the associated cartridge BBs last for years.
    The answer to the OP is that you can get several different makes of adapter that allow you to fit other chain sets with other sized crank spindles. (the "30" refers to the spindle diameter). Shimano are, I think, 24mm.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Have a look at this thread on this very subject
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12956970
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    http://www.qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/FS ... tchart.pdf

It seems our "Mechanic" friend is somewhat lacking in his knowledge....there are plenty of adaptors to allow you to fit different cranks to a BB30 shell, but none that go the other way - The only 30mm spindle crank that will fit a conventional BB shell is a Rotor by virtue of a longer spindle which allows the bearings to sit outboard.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    +1 to Monty's post. I think The Mechanic misread the OP.