Winter Training Wheels

Hart1969
Hart1969 Posts: 11
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Any recommendations for a set of winter training wheels - need to be able to withstand regular commutes into work and riding in all weathers, but still feel responsive enough for some fast winter training rides.

Thanks,

Comments

• Among the factory made options, probably SHimano R 500/501 is where the best value is... decent wheels and easy to service and repair. Less than 100 pounds

Among the bespoke options, I'd say 105 hubs on Rigida Chrina rims... but you are looking at significantly more money 160-180 or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hart1969 wrote:
    Any recommendations for a set of winte rtraining wheels - need to be able to withstand regular commutes into work and riding in all weathers, but still feel responsive enough for some fast winter training rides.

Thanks,

Dura Ace 9000 C24.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Ugo's handbuilt option is a good one. Chrina are inexpensive and last a long time. They can be a little tight getting certain tyres on, but nothing impossible. I really rate the Chrina and would be very happy with them as an all-weather rim. I have one on the front of the Audax bike currently (and an Archetype on the rear - I'm probably breaking allsorts of those silly rules, but I do like to live dangerously).

That wheel is going through it's 4th winter now and is still going strong. Probably done around 25000km.