Resin or Metal pads of XC in UK weather?

John_Carter
John_Carter Posts: 87
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Hello,
Just got new Shimano SLX M675 brakes - they come with metal pads but I'm thinking of installing resin pads as they allegedly provide more 'feel'. I know resin isn't as good in the wet which is quite frequent in the UK.. ;-)

On the other hand I'm not doing DH and wonder if the SLX brakes (with 180mm rotor on the front) and metal pads would prove too powerful and provide less feel...

What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sintered for wet and muddy conditions and resin for dry.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sintered for wet and muddy conditions and resin for dry.

in other words sintered for UK as we never get a dry day :P
  • What would happen to resin pads in wet water? they's wear quicker but they will brake if you pull the lever hard enough, no?
  • nicklouse
    What would happen to resin pads in wet water? they's wear quicker but they will brake if you pull the lever hard enough, no?
    just wear out fast. seen some people get through a set in an hour.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • And how would they compare for 'feel' metal and resin?

Thanks,
  • nicklouse
    what do you mean by feel.

if you mean lever feel the same.
  • I'm currently on SuperStar Kevlar (Red!) and think they are great. Grippy, not at all noisey and seem to hold up very well (although I don't do much sandy riding). Cheap too at about £6 a set.
  • nicklouse wrote:

Sorry,
    I mean modulation sensitivity, the opposite of the 'on/off' feeling - I understand Resin is more sensitive?
  • Kevlar are a good compramise, but I can still get through a set within a few rides.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I found kevlar pads a little prone to glazing, the power would drop off while they still had plenty of material. Switched to resin for my last batch of Superstar and they are more powerful, with acceptable wear. I don't tend to ride as much in really crap conditions though!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Sorry,
    I mean modulation sensitivity, the opposite of the 'on/off' feeling - I understand Resin is more sensitive?
    Modulation will not change as that is part of the brake design. sensitivity same it is part of the brake design.

what i think you are asking is asking the same as what will the difference be when changing pad supplier. will there be a difference? and the answer is yes, no, maybe. just the same as you can get differences in the "same" pads from one supplier.

your brakes will feel the same. the rate of retardation for a given force on the lever may be different. But as the human brain is a wonderful thing you will change the force you are applying without even noticing.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Sorry,
    Modulation will not change as that is part of the brake design. sensitivity same it is part of the brake design.

what i think you are asking is asking the same as what will the difference be when changing pad supplier. will there be a difference? and the answer is yes, no, maybe. just the same as you can get differences in the "same" pads from one supplier.

your brakes will feel the same. the rate of retardation for a given force on the lever may be different. But as the human brain is a wonderful thing you will change the force you are applying without even noticing.

Thanks Mate,
    That's a great explenation! :mrgreen:

I'll stick with the metal pads that came with the brakes.

Thanks!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    nicklouse wrote:

Sorry,

resin will have more initial bite than sintered
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you live in the Atacama Desert where it hasnt rained for 400 years use resin. Anywhere else use Sintered.

People talk about differences in bite and fade and a lot of other balls. Your not riding a Honda superbike at the TT so dont worry about it because no one in a blind test apart from maybe pro downhillers can tell the difference.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    stubs wrote:
    If you live in the Atacama Desert where it hasnt rained for 400 years use resin. Anywhere else use Sintered.

People talk about differences in bite and fade and a lot of other balls. Your not riding a Honda superbike at the TT so dont worry about it because no one in a blind test apart from maybe pro downhillers can tell the difference.

Word
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Somewhat over simplified!

If I were in the Alps I'd use organic as they have better progression into fade (due to temperature) than sintered, giving you more warning and opportunity, sintered have a very steep fall off in friction as they get too hot which can result in some scary moments.

Personally I just stick with Kevlar year round from superstar.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    stubs wrote:

You'll notice brake fade in the alps, trust me!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ilovedirt wrote:
    stubs wrote:

You'll notice brake fade in the alps, trust me!

Never ridden in the Alps so I couldnt comment. However I have ridden uplifts in the Sierra Nevada and the Pyrenees in Spain, the Cairngorm, Fort Bill red and Snowdon (not a cable car a little steam engine :lol: ) and I never noticed any particular pad material was any different to another. Mind I did have some terrible squeaky bum moments at Fort Bill on a borrowed bike when the lever kept coming back to the bars and the pads were so hot I thought they were about to catch fire.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I used to really rate the SS kevlar pads, but got through my last set in 100 miles or so and wasn't too impressed! Got Superstar sintered pads now and no issues with squealing etc so far. Have to agree with njee, the kevlar ones had a habit of glazing over and fading, and I had to sand them a few times. You can't really complain though, as non-superstar pads would be £40+ for 4 sets, rather than £25!