Buying shoes and pedals from different shops

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
I've found TIME pedals that I want to buy from my LBS

However, none of their shoes felt comfortable (Spuicks just about OK, but Shimano and Bontrager kept slipping at the heel, even when done up tightly)

So, if I buy another brand elsewhere (say, Specialized for sake of argument), will I still be able to fit the cleats that come with TIME pedals sold by my LBS?

I suppose my basic question boils down to will any brand of road bike shoe fit any brand/type of clipless spedal ?

Secondly, should shoes slip at the heel? The Spuicks were just about OK, but I had to ratchet up very tightly for this to be the case

Thanks all

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    There is nothing wrong with buying pedals and shoes at different retailers. If the Time's you bought are road pedals like the Xpresso then you'll need a road shoe that takes the standard 3-bolt cleat (almost all of them). If you bought MTB pedals such as the ATAC then you'll need a shoe that takes a two bolt cleat (pretty much every MTB shoe out there).

As far as heel slip, a little is fine, but it shouldn't be excessive. You shouldn't have to ratchet the crap out of your shoes to get them to fit. My guess is that you're looking at sizes that are too large.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks Grill

I found 42 to be too small, 44 to be too big, with the 43s fitting(ish), but slipping at heel (aside from tightly ratchetted spuiks)

Normal shoe size is 9 = 43, although often have to wear an inner sole, so guess I may be an 8.5 = 42.5...cant get in bike shoes!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mondo point (JP/CM) is the only truly uniform sizing method for footwear as it measures the mm from the inside of the heelcup to then end of the toebox. This is the reason different brands, and even different models of the same brand don't size the same. Cycling shoes should generally fit more snug than trainers as the heel is locked down so there isn't much, if any, sliding in the shoe.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    markiegrim wrote:

So, if I buy another brand elsewhere (say, Specialized for sake of argument), will I still be able to fit the cleats that come with TIME pedals sold by my LBS?

Make sure you buy a 3 bolt road shoe and you'll be fine.

Road shoes and pedals come in 3 bolt and 4 bolt fitments. 3 bolt are by far the most common because only speedplay use 4 bolt.

Time, Look and Shimano SPD-SL will fit any 3 bolt road shoe.

MTB shoes and pedals are a different kettle of fish (2 bolt SPD being the most common).
    Red bikes are the fastest.