TT Bike

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
This has turned out to be one of my better weeks...

Had a customer call into the office to pay his bill, O.K, two years late and after quite a nasty court case...but
he apologised and settled his account in cash....happy days.... :D

With this money being written off a long time ago my wife has made me an offer, we can share !!!!

Now I've been after a TT bike for quite sometime but to be honest I haven't been able to justify one or afford one,
but now I can. I'm going to have to act fast as she may change her mind. I've been looking at the two bike below:

Planet X Exocet 2 Dura Ace & a Cannondale Slice 105 with FFWD wheels from Epic Cycles.

What's the thinking on the above and is there anything else worth looking at. My max budget is £2500 & no more.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    TBH the frame itself isn't a huge deal so long as the geometry works with your morphology.

If they have your size I'd go for this: http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-plasma-20-tri-bike-2013-p207845
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The Stealth is half the price and you can spend the rest on a week in the alps training/holiday, or a set of funky wheels and a pointy hat. Get the bike fit too.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'm looking at the same thing for a similar budget - in two minds about getting a frame and building up myself or buying ready made. Currently debating either blowing £700 on an ADR Nero and pimping it up or waiting until the Cervelo P2 105 comes out in April. Supposed to run to £2.5k retail and I'm a bit of a Cervelo fanboy.

Having had a TT bike before I'd echo the fit point - that's what's pointing me towards the Cervelo (or at least an off the shelf bike) - they'll do a pre-fit sizing before ordering and a proper fit once it arrives.
  • Grill
    ADR are quality. Won't go wrong with them.
  • polyx
    polyx Posts: 112
    I was about to buy Argon18 e112 on a Christmas deal but plans changed. Seen in flesh tho, they are beauty.
  • rhaddo
    rhaddo Posts: 24
    I have the Exocet and have very mixed feelings. The first had a fault and was a lot of trouble to sort out. On the other hand it has completely transformed my modest ability in TTs. My wife is looking at a cervelo P2 with 105 new for £2k which seems good to me. Wheels are askium on the premise that most people upgrade wheels anyway. I have a boardman road bike and think they are fantastic vfm, so I have made my wife have a look at those too!
    As grill says possibly the geometry is more important than all the nice paint schemes and stuff...
  • rokt
    Thanks for the imput, I've just got back from the Tri club and I've had a good look at what the others are riding, to try and get some ideas.

I'm having a ride upto Westbrooks in the morning with one of the lads to have a look at the Scott, hope the 54cm
    fits !!! It is just in need of some deep rim wheels and if I buy the Scott it will only leave me with £500...I may have to stretch the truth a bit with the wife... :D
  • Grill
    Wheels sorted:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXPC5082/planet-x-pro-carbon-50-82-wheelset

The Plasma 2 frameset is solid. I bought mine from Westbrook before upgrading to a Plasma 3 (also from Westbrook).
  • There has been some great value second hand shivs on ebay lately. I bought a shiv pro with sram red, zipp r2c shifters, ive got planet x 82 and 101 wheels, and was close to your budget. Its mental rocketship fast and love it. Worth getting used you get much more for your money and are usually low mileage. Mine had been ridden once.
    Takes a while to get your position but ive just got in from a ride on mine and love it. Heres a pic
    image_zps74f82472.jpg
    image_zpsb6f952ba.jpg
  • Considering a canyon but it's just their sizing that's a concern esp with a TT bike,

Don't like planet xs warranty system so lol
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • There has been some great value second hand shivs on ebay lately. I bought a shiv pro with sram red, zipp r2c shifters, ive got planet x 82 and 101 wheels, and was close to your budget. Its mental rocketship fast and love it. Worth getting used you get much more for your money and are usually low mileage. Mine had been ridden once.
    Takes a while to get your position but ive just got in from a ride on mine and love it. Heres a pic
    image_zps74f82472.jpg
    image_zpsb6f952ba.jpg

8)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • rokt
    Bugger.....the Scott was too big in a 54(M) and too small in a 49(XS), the perfect size, a small was sold out.

Westbrook's is a nice shop though with very helpful staff, well worth a visit.

Back to the drawing board....but I have settled in my mind that a professional fitting is a must (as many of you have pointed out), fit is all important on a TT bike.

I going to drop into Planet X in the morning to have a look at the Exocet, a lot of them at my Triathlon club ???
  • Grill
    The only Shiv I really like the look of is the TT. Something about the massive down tube is still a bit alien to me, although I wouldn't mind the hydration on long TT's!

May as well raise you my Plasma ;)
    IMG-20130822-WA0000_zps790d0ad4.jpg
  • rokt
    After weeks of buggering about looking at TT bikes, I set my heart on a Planet X Exocet with Dura Ace. I have now been three times to Planet X in Sheffield and twice to the Barnsley store. All visits a complete wast of time, how these people stay in business, I don't know.

Needless to say the Exocet has now gone out of the window along with my budget and I've ordered a Cervelo P3, should be picking it up Friday..... :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What was up with PX ? I booked a bikefit there - they spent about 3 hours with me nailing every angle down - I'm more than happy with it. I don't reckon the frame makes that much difference - so long as you fit it properly.

Enjoy the Cervelo.
  • rokt
    Cougie, twice I made the trip to the Barnsley store to look at the Exocet after being told a small was available to look at, twice the bike was not in stock !

I though it may be better to deal with the main store in Sheffield. I phone to check they had a small on display to look at and they did, but guess what, when I got there, they didn't !!!!!

I arranged for them to get one build up for me to look at and I call in as they opened on the Sunday morning, no need to ring it will be waiting for you, it wasn't. I was promised one would be built and available for me to see and even test ride, so I told them I call the following Saturday. When I arrived the store was busy so I had to wait to be served, nearly two hours later I'd had enough and went home.

I pick up my P3 tomorrow, no Dura Ace only Ultegra/FSA mix and £800 more but what the hell. Hopefully it should be a much better bike/ride, we'll see.....
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Grill wrote:
    The only Shiv I really like the look of is the TT. Something about the massive down tube is still a bit alien to me, although I wouldn't mind the hydration on long TT's!

Nice bike,what's with the saddle angle?

PP
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Cracker that berni right stunner.

I recon hes got big balls and needs to make room ;-)
  • Grill
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Nice bike,what's with the saddle angle?

PP

It was to check on seatpost height (needed cutting). It's been fettled with since and looks much nicer now. :)