Ghost se 8000 £600

contented
contented Posts: 83
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Fed up with holding out for a decent second hander, so I'm looking at upping the budget. This http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ghos ... -prod81704 is up for a touch over £600 (inc extra 10 percent discount) and seems to be pretty good for the price.

Question is, do any other bikes immediately spring to mind as being a lot better for the money? Can't go higher in price, bike is to be shared between 95kg, short fat bloke and teenage brand snob (bikes from Go Outdoors, Halfords are out in spite of their qualities).

Urban riding, trails, a bit of muddy off road and general larking about but no competing / racing or anything too extreme. A bike to take camping is what I need.

Essentially, is this a good buy? Looking to get something in the next couple of days.
Cheers :)

Comments

• Not an expert but fork looks reasonable for the money and Shimano SLX/XT transmission should be fairly bomb proof, I demo'd a ghost couple years back and the build quality was excellent, good starter bike I would say.
  • Great. Fork is where I show my noob. I know it needs to be half decent but only have experience of an RST standard crap fork from my 07 Spesh, an ancient but good Marzzochi bomber (which I use on the Hardrock) and a 2010 Tora SL which I bought in error (tapered).
    Not having to mess around with upgrading fork is the number one on my list. That and a cool colour frame.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Rockrider 8.1 for £550.
  • On my way to Decathlon now and will have another look.
    Cheers Cookeh :)
  • Had a look at the Rockriders - well worth considering, so thanks for the pointer.
    Plumped for the Ghost in the end. Spec is pretty good and, having been on a friend's 4000, it just kind of feels 'right'. Thanks again for the advice Cookeh and Mark.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    No worries. Enjoy! :D
  • Ghost are very popular here and are good quality bikes at great prices.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • Great choice, pics??
  • Great choice, pics??

Not arrived yet, identical to the one on crc. I'm at the stage of looking out the window every time I hear a vehicle just in case it's here :)