cotic bfe spec upgrade

keepluckin
keepluckin Posts: 12
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi newly back after very long time away from biking,here is the spec on the cotic im buying and i want opinions on parts to upgrade if any? bare in mind i will not be racing this ., its only for cross country and knockin around woods and mountain tracks, but i do like quality so any ideas id be grateful...cotic bfe,,,
shimano deore brakes,,
shimano slx rear deralier
shimano slx crankset 1x10 11-36t rear cassette
qr saddle
fox f series rlc 150mm fork
760 reverse bar
mavic cross ride wheels
schwalbe fat albert front tyre
hans dampf rear, ,,,,
was thinkin of rethnol fatboy riser bars? so fire away with ideas....

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What the heck is a qr saddle? Or do we assume it's a QR seatpost clamp?

Spec looks solid, Deore brakes are a little low rent compared to the rest, but nothing actually wrong with them (assuming they aren't 15 years old anyway!).

Why change bars? Ride it and decide what you actually want the bike to feel like and what bars may be better than other first!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • We saddle? Like u said I'm out if the scene awhile!nothin is definate about change in spec!just wanted to throw it out there to get opinions in wat people thought of it?
  • The Rookie
    Ride it first, then decide if anything needs changing!

What does 'We saddle' mean?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bad spellin. It's not about needs changing ! It's UPGrading!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then just sell it and buy this, which is probably a general upgrade.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Scal ... _66094.htm
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • There's always 1!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So every part could be ugraded, including the frame.
    As the Rookie said, what does it not do that you want it to do?
    Do you want better, lighter stronger?
    Do you have a budget?

But the first thing I would do is swap the tyres round.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Changing is only an upgrade if it improves it, on some bikes for some people for some uses they may be an upgrade, on others a downgrade. Just being more expensive with a fancy label doesn't make them an upgrade.
  • Unless I'm missing something, you haven't bought the bike yet, or ridden it?

Keep it as it is for a few months, then decide what you do and don't like, or could make your riding better as said above, I have been riding a 6 year old Carrera Vulcan for the past couple of months, and starting to notice a fair amount of areas that need work, but how will you know this without spending time out on the bike as it is?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    As above, nothing's really an upgrade unless you actually know you're getting something better. Leave off 'upgrading' small stuff, like bars, to something from a 'better' brand too. Unless it actually needs changing it'll suck money out of the stuff that might really make a difference like wheels or a droppper post.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    key bit of a HT is the forks. If the front end is poorly suspended/setup/damped then it affects everything.

So get the forks right, then look at the quality of the controls. Good shifters are nice, sharp brakes help, nice short stem/wide bars set it up, and decent tyres - or at least unworn tyres - are the last bit. Then it's down to the rider :wink: that's why HTs are so much fun.

[I have a BFE, 1x10 with lyriks]
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • thanks ,what do you think of the forks? reason im asking is there is a 50pc sale on in a shop i used to go to and was just thinkin of gettin some good deals; im not new to mbk done it for over 10yrs just lost touch with components.it was all shimano xt and xtr when i was seriously at it, so things like seat post, brakes ,h-bars,the group set is good enough for the moment so are the wheels,so if you dont have a possitive suggestion then please dont comment,
  • keepluckin wrote:
    hi newly back after very long time away from biking,here is the spec on the cotic im buying and i want opinions on parts to upgrade if any? bare in mind i will not be racing this ., its only for cross country and knockin around woods and mountain tracks, but i do like quality so any ideas id be grateful...cotic bfe,,,

was thinkin of rethnol fatboy riser bars? so fire away with ideas....

keepluckin wrote:
    thanks ,what do you think of the forks? reason im asking is there is a 50pc sale on in a shop i used to go to and was just thinkin of gettin some good deals; im not new to mbk done it for over 10yrs just lost touch with components.it was all shimano xt and xtr when i was seriously at it, so things like seat post, brakes ,h-bars,the group set is good enough for the moment so are the wheels,so if you dont have a possitive suggestion then please dont comment,

I haven't seen a negative idea yet? you asked for opinions, you got them :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Get a frame and stick xt or xtr components on......... sorry but it has taken me a couple of years to getting round to fitting new wheels , bars and other parts.

I really don't understand the numerous threads that ask about upgrading a new bike from the off. If someone is that concerned about having the wrong spec then why on earth did they not invest in one with the right spec?
  • WHat a bunch of lovely friendly non judgmental helpfull !!!! I'm out if here GOODLUCK thanks for nothin!!!
  • The Rookie
    Non judgemental is normally considered good, however I can judge you if you like? We are telling you why we can't say if it's an upgrade or not, the aim was to make sure what you got was what you wanted, we could all tell you it was a great upgrade and then you not like it and come back and tell we were all wrong and "thanks for nothin!!!", however as I never liked ingratitude, goodbye, you will be missed...(take that how you will!)
  • Oh well