Which Power Meter - slightly more challenging?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I might be looking to find a power meter for Alpe D'HuZes

I want something (if it exists) that will work on both my Scott Foil and original Volagi Liscio. Almost nothing about these two bikes is the same. The Volagi is disc-braked and an odd disc hub at that (130mm IIRC rather than the normal 135mm that MTBs and the Liscio 2 have). It is also BB30. The Foil is pretty much entirely standard - with a standard Shimano BB. As is the Focus Variado I use on my Tacx VR turbo.

I wanted to use the Volagi for AD6 because the brakes are prefect for mountain descending and the geometry is more relaxed and comfortable for a day going uphill endlessly.

My belief, therefore is that a hub-based system is out. My question is if there's a crank-based system that would work with both BBs or do I need to go for the pedal-based system? If so, is just the Garmin one available and is it any good?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    You could use a crank system with an adaptor kit for one or other of the BBs. Probably to fit a BB86 crank to the BB30 bike. The cheapest solution then probably becomes a Stages fit to your existing Foil crank.

Paul
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I'd put one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pressfit-30-to-bsa-adapter in the volagi and then both bikes will run bsa bb. Then Bob's your monkey.
  • And is the Stages meter "fixed" yet from a leakage point of view? It doesn't seem like it's ever going to stop raining and I don't want to be sending the thing back multiple times like quite a few reviewers have had to.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I can't answer that, I use a Power2Max and have done for over 2 years. Batteries last 300-400 hours, IME.

But you need a compatible crank, which probably means buying a new one. Not necessarily a problem unless you already own/use something nice.

Paul
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I have the same issue and will be getting the Garmin pedals once I pluck up the courage to spend the cash.

All the reviews seem positive, I'd just like them to be out in the wild a little longer before I buy them.
  • guinea wrote:
    I have the same issue and will be getting the Garmin pedals once I pluck up the courage to spend the cash.

All the reviews seem positive, I'd just like them to be out in the wild a little longer before I buy them.

Yes - I'm not a great fan of Garmin (and I dislike Look Keo cleats) in general but pedals does seem the most obvious solution. I'm guessing they'd hold reasonable resale value.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    And is the Stages meter "fixed" yet from a leakage point of view? It doesn't seem like it's ever going to stop raining and I don't want to be sending the thing back multiple times like quite a few reviewers have had to.
    My understanding is that they are doing a full recall ( dropped our off a week ago after a call from the LBS)
    They have a full fix I am told.

IMO they seemed pretty quick to acknowledge the problem and I'm pretty confident they will get it sorted fairly quickly
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    P2M Rotor 3d is your best bet. Slots right into the Foil and you only need a BB converter like those listed above for your other bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The Look or Garmin Pedals are the best solution. Changing pedals is easy changing cranks take a little more time.

I have 6 road bikes. I will be using the pedals when I have the spare cash.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.