Any 6ft 5 guys with a planet x?

Rigga
Rigga Posts: 939
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
So I'm contemplating the planet x pro carbon ultegra but at 6ft 5 with 36 inch inseam will the xl be big enough for me?
I know their frames are compact but would just like to know if anyone else is in th same boat as me?

Comments

• Would just mean a lot of seatpost and longer stem if you are roughly limb / body proportionate. Im built like a frog - Larsson length legs with shorter body. Companies such as rose and canyon do more for the taller guy.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My mate is 6'3" and he had a stealth from them that fitted well.

If you're able - go for the bike fit option. It's £89 or so but worth it idlf you're an unusual size.
  • Although a fan of Planet X I know Canyon are currently selling off their big size bikes at good prices, no wait times, all in stock.Could be worth a check.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/service/news_ ... ml?nt=4538
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    cougie wrote:
    My mate is 6'3" and he had a stealth from them that fitted well.

If you're able - go for the bike fit option. It's £89 or so but worth it idlf you're an unusual size.

The PX bike fit is half price if you're ordering a bike from them.
    Had one done last week & that helped me to determine frame size for an RT-58 as well as stem length & saddle height.

I was in between M & L sizes. Telephone sales person said go for medium - Bike fit came out as Large.
    What finally swung it was being able to sit on a built-up RT-58 in the right size.

Mike
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am over 6ft6 with a 36" inseam and fit on a Trek 62cm h2 fit frame with three spacers and a 10 degree 110mm stem flipped upright. This gives just over 1" of drop from saddle to handle bars.

Comparing this to the Planet X bike it looks like you are going to end up with a lot of drop even making the changes I did. The head tube on the Planet X is 4cm shorter than my Trek and this is reflected in the frame stack which is 4.5cm less. I think the bike will be too low at the front for you unless you want around 7cm of drop.

This is just my estimation as a tall rider of road bikes and from experience only other tall riders really know the limitations of fitting onto bikes when you are tall. I would suggest a test ride to confirm but if it is too low don't worry as Trek , Specialized etc. do bikes which while being of lower group set for the price will fit you.
  • 7 cm isn't really a lot of drop for a flexible rider. My saddle to bar drop is over 8 inches! Kajjal has provided food for thought though. In asking the question there's no telling how aggressive the position those of us giving the advice prefer. My perfect would be Kajjal's torture and vice versa and we are similar dimensions. I still recommend looking for a brand with a much wider size range, giving you a wider choice of fitting options.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    brownbosh wrote:
    7 cm isn't really a lot of drop for a flexible rider. My saddle to bar drop is over 8 inches! Kajjal has provided food for thought though. In asking the question there's no telling how aggressive the position those of us giving the advice prefer. My perfect would be Kajjal's torture and vice versa and we are similar dimensions. I still recommend looking for a brand with a much wider size range, giving you a wider choice of fitting options.

Your not wrong there :)
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Well I must admit the cube peloton race has caught my eye now especially in the stunning white red and blue colour scheme. Full 105 groupset including brakes, carbon forks and mavic rims all for £999 and the sizes go up to 64cm.
  • My mate who is 6ft5 is going to the London show this weekend to get sized up for an RT58. He is on a Defy Advanced XL at the moment which has a massive head tube. I will report back on how he gets on.
  • I'm 6ft 6 and have both a standard Giant defy for general use and a carbon TCR for the summer in XL and both fit me fine, I even find the TCR more comfortable even with the more aggressive position.

I would recommend either for a tall rider especially if you can find one in a sale somewhere.
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    I'm 6ft 4, 194 cm. I have long legs...99cm and own a px pro carbon.
    It all depends on your leg length and your flexibility whether this will fit. It's a great frame, really good but I'm having to sell as it's just a little too small on the head tube....21.5cm would have been great but 19.0 is just too low following a car crash and neck issues

To give you a guide I ride with 87.5 top of saddle to bb. If you flipped the stem and added 2-3 cm of spacers this would give you around an 8cm drop, but I prefer not to and rode with around 14cm drop

Wish they did an xxl, px seem to ignore the tall rider.

Used for 2 summers, black and in great condition inc forks. If you are interested in buying let me know
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Actually 36 inches doesn't sound long for someone 6ft 5. Are you providing trouser length or floor to right up into the gentlemans under carriage? If you are giving the latter then a px pro carbon will probably fit providing you are not expecting the saddle level with the bars.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    my sympathy on being tall! i am only 6'3" and i find a little awkward, but i think its a little extra hard for me as i think i am pretty unflexable! personally i would get a bike fit...which is what i would do on a next bike purchase just to get it right.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012