Rain!!

Chunkyone
Chunkyone Posts: 53
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
It's not funny any more. I usually just accept the weather as part of the occupational hazzard of commuting by bike everyday but the rain, wind and cold has really got to me this year.

As a forty seven year old bloke commuting between 11 and 15 miles each way to work every day I have always been pleased with my efforts in staying on the bike all year in the past but this year it seems harder to motivate myself to go out in all weathers.

Am I just going soft or do others feel the same?

Comments

• While I don't commute, but, I do train in the mornings ( I am an artist and my creativity is non-existent before 11am ) I wake up a 7:30 and most mornings recently it has been - Oh Bo***cks not again, I don't mind the rain usually but it's killing rims, tyres and drive-train. This relentless bad weather will stop eventually but it has become a royal pain in the butt.

There have been moments when I have said 'Sod it, I'm not riding'
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Rain? Where the feck is the snow?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I don't mind the rain as long as I am properly dressed for it.
  • I agree, It's got to the point where I am going to take my winter bike* apart for maintenance tonight and not worry too much if it's not ready by the morning!

*loose term, it's been my only bike for the past six years but the new frame and wheels are still in boxes waiting to be built and for the sun to shine!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • Joelsim wrote:
    I don't mind the rain as long as I am properly dressed for it.

+1

Commuting safely in all weather is fine by me, public transport is a vveerrrryyyy last resort....
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • joelsim
    I can honestly say tonight was a nightmare. The wind was blowing so hard I swear I was going backwards at times. Plus freezing rain in the face to the point that I couldn't see anything.
  • Pretty painful coming through Tooting around 7:30 this evening, not sure if it was hail or just the wind blowing the rain really hard but it stung and I could barely see! Still beats the bus/underground though.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Yep, tell me about it. The constant Southwesterly is almost getting boring now. Tooting HS was a nightmare yesterday (usually is, but more the traffic/peds playing chicken than the wind usually) & from Morden to Epsom was pretty horrendous - pedalling hard downhill just to keep momentum at times. Oh well, rule #5 and all that. Plus, it is still preferable to the train!
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nice ride in this morning ... not too much tailwind so I was able to try out the tri-bars safely ... oh and "big ring"ed it all the way in ... first time in 3 years ...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Slowbike wrote:
    Nice ride in this morning ... not too much tailwind so I was able to try out the tri-bars safely ... oh and "big ring"ed it all the way in ... first time in 3 years ...

wasn't too bad here, checked the weather and made the most of it, got up early and managed 40 miles before work! was pretty blowy still but not raining so took the opportunity whilst it was there!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

wasn't too bad here, checked the weather and made the most of it, got up early and managed 40 miles before work! was pretty blowy still but not raining so took the opportunity whilst it was there!

hmm ... 40 miles before work ... nah - that means riding out in the dark ... I'd rather put the time in on the way home ... ;)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Slowbike wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

hmm ... 40 miles before work ... nah - that means riding out in the dark ... I'd rather put the time in on the way home ... ;)

with adequate lighting its actually quite nice at that time! also, who said I wouldnt do the same on the way home?!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • joelsim
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Pretty painful coming through Tooting around 7:30 this evening, not sure if it was hail or just the wind blowing the rain really hard but it stung and I could barely see! Still beats the bus/underground though.

Yep, Clapham Common was the worst, like being in treacle.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Had a weird experience today... Went out and didn't get wet. No wind, dry roads, no wet bottom
  • joelsim
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Had a weird experience today... Went out and didn't get wet. No wind, dry roads, no wet bottom

Me too. Bizarre. And this morning I was hot, too much clothing.
  • I got so fed up with that I have stayed off the bike for 2 weeks. I think this has done me good as I now can't wait to start the commute again!
    All I have to do now is fit the new drivetrain and get out and do it!