chainstay protector

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Hi all just brought a boardman comp hybrid to commute to work question is how many people use chainstay protector on their bikes, and if so how many would use them on a hybrid?

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have a Lizard Skin on my MTB and some thick heli-tape on my road bike.

Whether you need one depends on the terrain, I have one on the MTB as it takes big hits which can cause chain slap, especially when it's slack on the 22T granny ring. On the road bike it stops the chain fouling the chainstay when the wheel's off for a tube change or repair and probably helps protect it when I jump a curb or hit a pothole.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I too have a Lizard skin on the MTB, the commuter just has a thick stick on piece of vinyl, mine is carbon 'effect' as I had some spare and it looks quite nice on a gloss black frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cloth bar tape
  • I have a Halfords one on my Tifosi and a Lizard skin on my X Bow largely for the second reason given by 'Initialised' - to protect the chainstay when the rear wheel is out.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have a lizard skin neoprene one my MTB but on an MTB you get loads of chain slap as they are generally ridden off road. I have seen old inner tubes and cable ties used too.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.