Research into Cyclist Visibility and Communicating Movements

killiancas
killiancas Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Hello! My name is Killian Castner and I'm a senior at the Rochester Institute of Technology studying Industrial Design. I'm in the midst of a senior thesis addressing issues of cyclist visibility and communicating movements to other road users. I created a survey to gauge the percentage of cyclists using lighting accessories and how they signal when riding. If you wouldn't mind taking the survey it would be greatly appreciated. It is only 11 questions and should take less than 2 minutes to complete.

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=xg9o6wq2stuhkt8299139

Thank you!

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Done
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of course, this is a UK based website, so some responses on here may not hold true for US based cyclists (as your college is in NY), especially as our highway code may be different to whatever similar guidance is used over there.

Done anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Done

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'll have a bash when I get home - hopefully the pics will show up then!

Survey could be better - on average, I use lights a lot now as it is winter (at least in the Northern hemisphere) - but not at all in summer. Frequency options go up to 5-7 times a week and then multiple times a day. Commuters will probably use lights twice a day - 10 times a week which is neither 5-7 or exactly 'multiple'. You need to really think what the purpose of each question and each option actually is. Personally, I'm a little surprised that you don't ask about how people use their lights/visibility aids. Eg flashing, constant beam, combination of both, helmet lights, reflectors (esp on arms re visibility in signalling), high vis clothing etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Done