Service In Co.Durham

craiggreg89
craiggreg89 Posts: 53
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Anybody know of a decent place I can get my bike serviced. I am located near Darlington.

Only place I know of is halfords but a bit unsure of taking my bike to them

Comments

• I live just outside Darlo as well and I do all my own mechanics because there is no one around here that I would trust with my bike!

Sorry.

Cestria in Chester Le Street were recommended to me but they sold me a gear inner which was wrong type once which put me off them. Bikesport fitted the wrong size spoke to a wheel for me once! Dave Heron cycles in Coxhoe did some work for me once and did a good job of it but the job was supposed to be ready on a Wed and when I turned up to pick it up it wasn't finished and they said it would be Fri! Very annoying as they didn't call to let me know - that said what they did do they did correctly. Bike Scene in Guisborough has also been recommended to me by a couple of people at work but I've never been there myself. The guy who cuts my hair recommends and uses GLG Cycles in Thornaby - he has a very nice Pinarello but again I've never used them myself.

Overall I do it myself as its just not worth it - if you find someone good though let me know please!

PS- Wouldn't use Halfords as IME they are very very hit and miss there is one good mechanic in the Bishop Aukland branch but some are atrocious and there's no way of knowing who will work on your bike.

PPS- If it's just a cable change (inner and outers), gear indexing, brake check and bar tape renew I'll do it for you for £30 if you supply the parts :D:lol: :!:
  • Cheers for the reply. I am just wanting a full service and as another post I have put up there is a clicking noise coming from the headset. I think it could be a bearing but am not an expert on bikes :(

Just want it all checking over and a good greasing lol
  • Cycle World in Chester-le-Street
    Black Hawk Cycles in Stockton
  • Clicking noise from headset suggests it may just be a little loose - checking and tightening it up if needed is an easy job takes a couple of minutes max.
  • Sorry to sound stupid but am not clued up with bikes. Is it just a case of tightening the Allen key but on the top of the stem?
  • Sorry to sound stupid but am not clued up with bikes. Is it just a case of tightening the Allen key but on the top of the stem?

No - that Allen Key is on a thing called the top cap which is just there to pre-load the bearings. Hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forwards, if it knocks or bumps or you can feel any play at fork then it's loose. If you need to tighten it then you have to loosen of the bolts on the stem where it clamps to the steerer and the tighten up the top cap then re-tighten the stem. The top cap bolt should be just tight enough so there is no play in the fork and the steering is still fluid - check the Park Tools link in my reply to your other post.
  • Cheers pal :)
  • A mate has just recommended Arthur Caygil near Richmond anybody used them?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Arthur Caygil are good. In Darlington, I've had good service from Bikesport. Another good place is Infinity Cycles in Langley Moor, Durham. I've bought bikes from the latter two places. Bike Scene in Guisborough has a good rep.
  • A mate has just recommended Arthur Caygil near Richmond anybody used them?

Don't know about the mechanic but I phoned up to see if they had velox rim tape. They told me that had but when I got there they only had a huge roll so he said he would cut me a bit to use. He measured it against a wheel they had bu when I got home one piece was ok but the other was about 25% short - did not inspire confidence!

Bike sport is the place that fitted the wrong length spoke on one of my wheels!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Sounds like you have the means to get around, so I am surprised nobody has mentioned Westbrooks Cycles in Stokesley. Black Hawk in Stockton should be good, though I've not yet used them myself (shop has some connection with Paul Curran, so at least have a bit of pedigree). I've had a couple of MTBs from Bike Scene in Guisborough and they have done stuff for me in the past, so I can recommend them.

Closer to home, Iron Horse Cyclery in central Darlo? Have looked around the shop, which looked ok, but no idea on servicing ability - should be good looking at the range they supply.
  • Yea i don't mind driving to a decent shop.

I might give the guy at Richmond or somebody from Darlington the bike to do a service.

If i were to get a full service how much should i expect to be paying?
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    +1 for Westbrooks in Stokesley. Excellent shop.

Not used them but heard some good things about Blackhawk. It's run by Paul Curran.
  • How could I forget about Westbrooks!
  • Just sent an e-mail to westbrooks and 10mins later a reply so that's a good start :)

Might take it over to them Tuesday next week :)
  • Just sent an e-mail to westbrooks and 10mins later a reply so that's a good start :)

Yep, they are good at replying to emails! I had great dealings with them when buying my Scott CR1 frame. Unlike my local bike shop who seemingly rely to emails only once a day. Despite them being on the computer watching youtube videos every time I go in ;)
  • Blackhawk cycles in Stockton is held in high regards by a few cycling buddies of mine. I've yet to go as I have not had the need to just yet.
  • Westbrooks would be my First Choice,
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Yarm cycles ?
  • Infinity cycles are good as is Mountain High in ferryhill. used several times for mechanical issues and have been quick, reliable and reasonably priced too.
    2012 Bottecchia Super 8Avio 105
    2007 Focus Variado 105