Do new tyres need wearing-in?

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
Bear with me, am new to the world of the roadie!

I stuck on a new rear last night, Conti Ultra Sport, seemed a decent winter choice, my first reasonable speed corner and my rear just disappears and I go sliding off into the curb.

I've only sustained a sprained wrist, so a few days off I guess.

My question is should I take it really slow for a while until tyres wear in (or maybe stick it on turbo and warm them up) or did I just hit a slippy patch and it's just coincidence?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    For the first few km, and it really isn't many, the risk of losing traction is a bit higher due to the releasing agent on the tyre.

Take it easy for the first few km or give the tyre a really good scrub with soap and water (but life is too short for that really).
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    So probably just a coincidence? I've done the corner a lot (it's on my commute) and usually faster. It was wet, but it's always wet... Oh well. First road bike crash and nothing broken anyway!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Most tyres need to be "scrubbed in" when new, especially the harder rubber compounds as they can be a bit too smooth. Only takes a ride or two. With softer compounds i've never really noticed any lack of grip, even when new. It also kinda depends what time of year you fit them (i always seem to fit mine in the middle of summer when the roads are dry and hot).
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I found that Vittoria do.
    I've just bought a couple of pairs of 4000s and both were christened on wet days, no issues at all.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I usually give my tyres a quick wash with hot clean water when I fit them. Doesn't take long and takes the oil off.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just take the bike out for an hour and you should be fine.
  • Always scrub new tyres with warm soapy water and give them a rub down with some sandper before using, they' often still have the stuff on them to make it easier to get them out of the moulds that make them in. Takes 20 minutes or so well worth it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Only really noticed it with a pair of Nokian slicks nn my MTB when they squeaked for the first 200 yds till the tread was dirty.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • My commuting mate had a pair of Conti ultra sports on his CR1 originally. He kept sliding off all the time, even in the dry, wasn't just a bedding in problem. He has a mortal fear of Continental tyres now.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Yeah you need to ride them in a bit, new tyres on wet roads is a recipe for disaster, especially if they are Ultra Sports which are sh1te I'm afraid.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    shmooster wrote:
    My commuting mate had a pair of Conti ultra sports on his CR1 originally. He kept sliding off all the time, even in the dry, wasn't just a bedding in problem. He has a mortal fear of Continental tyres now.

I had that with Continental tyres on a car - sideways on a roundabout (in a torrential downpour to be fair). Put Michelins on a year later (after putting the Continentals on the front to reduce the effect) and it transformed the car.

No surprise then that my best bike has Michelin tyres!
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    One of those foam/scouring pads and warm soapy water takes any oily residue of the tyres before first use.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    k-dog wrote:
    I had that with Continental tyres on a car - sideways on a roundabout (in a torrential downpour to be fair). Put Michelins on a year later (after putting the Continentals on the front to reduce the effect) and it transformed the car.
    But that's half the fun of it - or was whilst we had a rear wheel drive 2 seater sports car .... and before they dressed the roundabouts with non-slip stuff ... booo :(
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Slowbike wrote:
    k-dog wrote:
    But that's half the fun of it - or was whilst we had a rear wheel drive 2 seater sports car .... and before they dressed the roundabouts with non-slip stuff ... booo :(

Definitely - but those ones were too much. Was like driving on skates - unpredictableand dangerous. I could still slide the Michelins - but only when I wanted to!

Was amazed once when I had a puncture and they mounted one of the rears the wrong way round - drove like a pig. Amazing the difference it made when it was the right way round. It was a kind of half and half tread pattern so not immediately obvious.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`ve never noticed on a bicycle but always give my new motorbike tyres a rub down and clean after chucking one down the road in the dry on the first junction on new tyres a few years ago :(
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    dilatory wrote:
    Bear with me, am new to the world of the roadie!

I stuck on a new rear last night, Conti Ultra Sport, seemed a decent winter choice, my first reasonable speed corner and my rear just disappears and I go sliding off into the curb.

I've only sustained a sprained wrist, so a few days off I guess.

My question is should I take it really slow for a while until tyres wear in (or maybe stick it on turbo and warm them up) or did I just hit a slippy patch and it's just coincidence?

And now you realise they are not