27.5 versus 29

BigDell
BigDell Posts: 14
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've just had an interesting conversation with my local bike retailer who said that 27.5 was "dead before it's started" and I shouldn't look past a 29er.
I'm looking at general use around the local area, canals, trails etc nothing to testing.

I've around £600 to spend on a hardtail through the "cycle to work", so any recommendations?

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    He's not wrong in all aspects - but he's not right by a long shot.

The bottom line here will be test one of each, and then decide whats best for you.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    For what you say you're doing, my guess is both will be fine, though I've never ridden a 27.5.

A 29er does make things all so much easier though and can't for the life on me understand why much, much more folk haven't got them yet.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Because not all people think they are better. Like all the sizes, pros and cons.
  • RandG
    I'm surprised you've not trotted out your "they'll be gone in a year" statement.

Anyway, speaking personally, they are much, much better for the type of riding the OP has stated he/she will be doing.
  • supersonic
    Gone in a year? I've never said that.

And I stand by what is best is purely subjective. This is why the OP should test as much as they can.
  • RandG
    You have, in the past, been very anti 29er's for why, I have no idea, you have, also, in the past, stated that they won't last long.

I do agree, test both.
  • supersonic
    I've never been anti 29er, as such. I have been against choice been taken away by manufacturers and them forcing standards at us by taking away others, and giving poor reasons for why they are better in every way. I am actually annoyed that some manufacturers are dropping 29ers in favour of 27.5!!! And similarly annoyed when manufacturers dropped 26ers for 29ers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    29ers have advantages and disadvantages.
    I would buy one for long distance xc rides but for anything aggressive I don't like them and would only want 26" wheels.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    BigDell wrote:
    I've just had an interesting conversation with my local bike retailer who said that 27.5 was "dead before it's started" and I shouldn't look past a 29er.

Total boIIocks... did he, perchance, have some 29ers to shift...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I have ridden now 4 29ers, from cube to the voodoo, and I don't like them, my next bike will be 26 or 650b, although, I haven't ridden one yet so may not like them either
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    BigDell wrote:

Exactly this ^^^^^^

Nothing wrong with 29ers......... or 27.5ers...................... or 26ers.

Buy the bike that fits you and feels right..............whatever the wheel size
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    BigDell wrote:
    I'm looking at general use around the local area, canals, trails etc nothing to testing.

I've around £600 to spend on a hardtail through the "cycle to work", so any recommendations?

Seems incredible to me a bike dealer doesn't know that the industry took the decision to switch 26 to 650b more than a year ago.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The real advice should be try for yourself and see what you think. I do XC riding and changed from 26er to a 29er. The 29er is faster and easier to ride but the 26er is still a good bike. My wife won't go near a 29er and prefers 26ers.
  • I was speaking to a store salesman for a cube and giant dealer, he said that 29ers might be on the way out, and that 27.5 was the way forward. (Giant pulling 29ers in 2015/16?) so much so that he said if HE was buying a bike then it would be a 27.5.

At the end of the day wheel size will take a few years to be won or lost.

Get a test ride on all 3 sizes and choose the one you like best!!!

Don't be forced down a road by a salesman who can't tell one way or another what will happen.

Simples
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    BigDell wrote:

My thoughts exactly - I suspect he did...
  • I have done what most of you suggested an tried several models in all the wheel size variants and have decided on a 650b model from Saracen.
    Well spec'd for the money and most of all it felt right.
    Thanks for all your input.

P.S got a call yesterday from the dealer that told me 650was "dying already" told him nicely where to go!!!
  • EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    Was he a Specialized dealer by any chance? (Specialized don't do 650b)

He may have a point though. There have been a lot of very good Trail/AM 29ers in the last year or so, with geometry that seems to have got around a lot of the traditional disadvantages of 29ers. The same disadvantages that 650b bikes were supposed to fix. So, what's the point of 650b now.
  • EdW wrote:

He may have a point though. There have been a lot of very good Trail/AM 29ers in the last year or so, with geometry that seems to have got around a lot of the traditional disadvantages of 29ers. The same disadvantages that 650b bikes were supposed to fix. So, what's the point of 650b now.

Before this gets into a wheel size slagging match, op question has been answered, and he has now bought a bike he is happy with. So end off, or raise a post on wheel size elsewhere!!!

At the end of the day there is 3 sizes, ride them and choose the one you like best. Simples
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • EdW wrote:

Yet. Rumour has it they have a order with a big manufacturer for a vast quantity of 650b suspension forks.
  • I bought a 27.5 bike yesterday. 29ers roll great over stuff, but they handle a bit slow imo in the twisty stuff.

Im not giving up , my 26" wheel bike either yet
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    Before this gets into a wheel size slagging match, op question has been answered, and he has now bought a bike he is happy with. So end off, or raise a post on wheel size elsewhere!!!

Who put you in charge of the forum?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    edited February 2014
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:

Who put you in charge of the forum?
    as stated bike bought END OF?
    How much for that!!!!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only the mighty banstick wielding mods can end a thread. Until then, we can post relevant stuff.

Or random garbage.

ps. It's end of.

Must try harder.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Only the mighty banstick wielding mods can end a thread. Until then, we can post relevant stuff.

Or random garbage.

ps. It's end of.

Must try harder.

Fixed & sorry
    How much for that!!!!!