Cycle computer advice please

Hammy1980
Hammy1980 Posts: 14
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to buy a cycle computer. I don't have a limited budget (which is lucky!) but I was hoping that if I outlined my needs and biking level some of you might be able to point me in the right direction.

I commute in London everyday on a Hybrid Pinnacle Lithium II (I know it's evans but i like the bike) but at least once a month I like to take the National Cycle Routes to various place. (London to Brighton or Oxford etc) and what I really want is a computer that can basically give me sat nav. I always take maps but hate stopping when i get lost or confused (I have an awful sense of direction) and also when the NCN route signs have been ripped off or gone missing.....

I'm not too fussed about heart rate / pulse type info. I just want a touchscreen computer that you can easily upload maps / routes too. Any recommendations? especially when it comes to NCN Routes which is what I enjoy taking the most. Basically I need an idiot proof sat nav thing that you can upload NCN Routes too OR has them built in. At the moment I use bike hub on my phone but it rinses the battery.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Regards
Hammy

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Hands down a Garmin 800, like for like nothing beats it, there is the newer 810 with a few more bells and whistles but by the sounds of things you don't need it.

Plenty of free mapping available these days, including NCN, that will go on the garmin so no need to buy expensive maps like you may have to with other brands. The heart rate, speed, cadence, etc facilities are there if you eventually need it too. Battery life is excellent.
  • Thanks miceden,

How easy is it to get the free NCN maps on them? is there a site for it?

Apologies, I'm such a noob
    Cheers
    Ham
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have an 800 - I just bought the garmin maps on a card. They were £25!
    Insert bike here:
  • Awesome. Do they come with the National Cycle Network Routes?
  • Hammy1980 wrote:
    Awesome. Do they come with the National Cycle Network Routes?

The maps do not come with routes on them. You have to either upload a route to the garmin or create a route using the garmin.

The latter is very tedious and no one I know creates routes on the garmin.

To obtain a route to upload you can either create one yourself or search online , there are many options for both.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/
  • i've got a bryton rider 50 which im selling, it has 1:50,000 OS maps on it which sounds like it would be the sort of thing you want in terms of mapping but it doesnt have a touch screen, its just got a little joypad type thing instead, heres a link to the bryton site: http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/rider50?lang=eng

if you're interested in it i could send you the link on gumtree, i was after £180 for it.