Which bits to keep during upgrade?

huldra
huldra Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
I'm finally going to change my Tiagra triple 9-speed (52/39/30) for a 105 compact double (50/34) 10-speed - not because I'm not getting on with the triple, ride-wise - I'm just getting incredibly frustrated with how difficult it is to keep it shifting nicely (and yes, feeling like a little project :lol: ). As I want to go to 10-speed I realise I obviously need to change the gear levers, the cassette, the chain rings and the chain itself - but can I keep the front mech and rd? The current cassette is a 25/12, I want to go for a 28/11 so I'll have half a chance getting up the steepest hills. :wink:

Comments

• Ribble are doing a good deal on 105 this week, so just get everything new!
  • I know - I'm sort of just trying to convince the other half that I'm not just treating myself to toys 'just because'... Am very tempted to just hit the checkout button though (yes - it is already all in my basket).
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I would say a new front mech & RD would be needed. buy buy buy
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    zx6man wrote:

Needed, but not required ....

I believe you could do it without changing the chainset too ..
  • huldra wrote:
    I know - I'm sort of just trying to convince the other half that I'm not just treating myself to toys 'just because'... Am very tempted to just hit the checkout button though (yes - it is already all in my basket).

Checkout...
  • zx6man
    Slowbike wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

OP wants to go to a double......
  • I was thinking I would be a good girl and wait until the weather improves - not put lots of shiny new stuff on the bike whilst it's still utterly grimsville out there - but I s'pose there's no harm in BUYING it now and leave it in the shed until spring... Particularly as I mightn't get such a good deal off of Ribble later on... You can hear me talking myself into this, can't you!
  • And get each bit out one at a time?
  • Goodness no - I'd have a weekend's upgrade-fest and shove it all on in one go!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited February 2014
    huldra wrote:
    I'm finally going to change my Tiagra triple 9-speed (52/39/30) for a 105 compact double (50/34) 10-speed - not because I'm not getting on with the triple, ride-wise - I'm just getting incredibly frustrated with how difficult it is to keep it shifting nicely (and yes, feeling like a little project :lol: ). As I want to go to 10-speed I realise I obviously need to change the gear levers, the cassette, the chain rings and the chain itself - but can I keep the front mech and rd? The current cassette is a 25/12, I want to go for a 28/11 so I'll have half a chance getting up the steepest hills. :wink:
    There's no reason a triple should be hard work. Is there something wrong with it?
    I've been using a 9-speed Tiagra triple for 3 years - it was already about 2 years old when I got it. I re-indexed the rear derailleur once 18 months ago when it drifted a little (I think it got a knock). But the rear derailleur is no different from a double and other than that I've never had any trouble and it always shifts cleanly. I clean and lube it occasionally and never adjust anything.
    By all means switch to a compact if maintenance issues are just an excuse (we all do it :wink: ) but if it's really just because the triple is causing you problems it would be cheaper to clean, lube and re-index the de-railleurs or get the LBS to do it. If there's anything bent or damaged it can't be too expensive to repair or replace.

If you're really changing just because you want to then I'd say go the whole hog and replace everything. I suspect the cost won't be much different - the sum of the costs for individual parts are usually much higher than buying a full groupset.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Buy the good deal and give yourself a project. Just remember tool costs etc. What is the frame?

You sound like you want the fun of the project, and as long as the money isn't supposed to be on food or bills well why not
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited February 2014
    [accidental duplicate]
  • slowbike
    zx6man wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Remove the inner chainring and index the new STI properly ... done ...
    My triple chainrings are 30/39/50 ...

Depends how much the OP has to spend ...
  • zx6man
    Slowbike wrote:
    zx6man wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Remove the inner chainring and index the new STI properly ... done ...
    My triple chainrings are 30/39/50 ...

Depends how much the OP has to spend ...

Just wouldn't happen, shiny bits syndrome has already commenced :-)
  • Removing the inner chainring definitely not an option - I need the help up the steepest hills! :oops: Don't have to buy any tools - got all of that already. I looked at buying the groupset, but as I don't need everything (put new bottom bracket on last year) and it won't let me choose exactly what I want, only ALMOST exactly - it's actually £2 cheaper to buy the individual bits. The frame is a 50' audax Ribble.

Shiny bits - mmmmm (said in Homer Simpson-voice) :lol:
  • zx6man
    is it the same BB for Tiagra to 105 ?
  • Yup - I've actually got the Ultegra Hollowtech II bottom bracket, shouldn't be an issue.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth considering a 12-27 cassette. Very few people actually spin out on a 50-12, and those that do might want to then consider taking a break, tucking in and concentrating on a decent line to go faster rather than clicking up 50-11 and slowly mashing.

The 27 will be no real difference to a 28 so the big benefit, as well as not buying a cog you hardly ever 'need', is a nice tight ratio spread with a useful extra cog which could help keep your legs fresh. IME, fresh legs make more difference climbing than a bail out gear.
  • slowbike
    zx6man wrote:
    Just wouldn't happen, shiny bits syndrome has already commenced :-)
    Ah .. yes ... well ... erm ... :D