Question for wheelbuilders

hazy_day
hazy_day Posts: 84
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I recently got a set of Archetypes built with a Dura Ace rear hub and an Ambrosio Zenith front hub.There seems to be a bit of play in the front hub and when riding some rusty stains appear at the hub (especially when the roads are wet).
My questions are 1) Can the hub be easily serviced and 2)if I need to replace the bearings can this be easily done without the need for special tools. What bearings would I need to get if I have to do this? I would appreciate any help/advice on this please.

Comments

• Without looking at the hubs I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure Ambrosio Zenith hubs are a cartridge bearing. From your description it sounds like moisture has got into the bearing and thus the rusty looking stains and play. Bear in mind the phrase 'sealed bearing' is a bit of a misnomer.

If there is play at the rim it sounds like the bearings have worn out. Hold the rim between two fingers at the brake calliper: can you move the rim side to side relative to the brake blocks? If so the bearings will need replacing.

Whether this is easy or not depends on how much experience you have and enjoyment you may get from playing around with such things. It is relatively simple. As for special tools, again, depends on what you already have in your tool box or consider special! You will need at least a soft mallet, something to press the bearings back in with (an appropriately sized socket will work) and ideally a vice or similar.

I hope the following basic guidelines help a little as to making your mind up whether to tackle the job or not: You need to remove the caps from either end of the axle. Various ways you can do this depending on how much corrosion the hub may have and the manufacturing tolerances. You then need to remove the axle followed by the bearings in the shell.
    Assembly being the reverse. Consider that you need to make sure the bearings are pressed-in squarely to the shell when re-assembling.

Without taking the hub apart I couldn't tell you the bearing size. Ideally you need a vernier scale or micrometer to measure the bearing with any accuracy. Any quality bearing supplier will be able to measure the old bearing and find a new bearing to fit. It is worth playing slightly more for a quality bearing and see if you can lift the seals and pack a little extra lithium grease into the cartridge before you press them in.

I'd say give it a go…

You can always come back and ask for some assistance!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ambrosio Zeniths are re-branded Novatecs and use cartridge bearings. All you need to know:
    http://cycleseven.org/replacing-novatec ... b-bearings
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Front Ambrosio are 24 x 12 x 6 on top of my head
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    6001 bearings are that size. Get INA, SKF or NTN bearings they last longer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thank you for all the replies and information.I really appreciate it.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Front Ambrosio are 24 x 12 x 6 on top of my head
    That's a funny place to keep them!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Looking at the websites I can get Hope and Mavic 6001,I presume these are OK for the job,and are 6001 2rs different.
    Thanks
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Hope over Mavic for me.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • SImplybearings, just plot the numbers I gave you and order some decent rubber sealed ones

You don't need to pay premium to buy them from a bicycle retailer... better to get quality ones instead
    left the forum March 2023