Budget commuter build (commencal normal)

smithy220
smithy220 Posts: 44
edited April 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Hi peeps I thought i would post a few pictures of my ongoing (budget permitting) latest bike project.A commencal normal budget bike build,I say budget as its mostly built from bits lying around spare,and second hand spares.And no steady income,my current ride is a helios which does everything it says on the tin out on the trail.But not really something suited to the urban jungle.Plus I wanted a simple and light weight hardtail.So after a search I found a commencal frame and began to source parts.

wheels used rock riders with hedge master tyres :oops: £30.00
bars funn full on £ 10.00
frame £ 30.00
forks fox tallas £ spare
stem hope £ spare
headset ritchey £ 2.50
head lock £ spare
rear mech shimano XT £ spare
front rotor hope 180mm £ spare
rear rotor superstar 203mm £ spare
WP_000241_zps068a0f15.jpg
WP_000240_zps5f74f3da.jpg
WP_000239_zps8a7d8519.jpg
WP_000237_zps6adbc3f5.jpg
WP_000225_zps74e903e8.jpg
WP_000233_zps4ea68b79.jpg
lots more parts needed : chain,seat post,saddle,brakes,rear 9 spd sshifter,grips,green powder coat. sure Im forgetting something.Pedald might help :) not sure as to what brakes I will be using I have some spare hopes but there not really in keeping with the budget theme. I'm toying with the idea of using a magura clara that's in my spares box,not megga stopping power but more that enough to throw me off a bike some years back.Which would then require me to only source a cheap rear.
people are like pens if they don't work shake em

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looks good so far but he rise on those bars :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    Looks good so far but he rise on those bars :shock:
    They seem ok,will soon find out once its ready to roll.And I don't think it will see much off road use as I have my other bike for that.
  • Seat post turned up this afternoon
    WP_000246_zps64c2ad3d.jpg
    seat post 27.2 ABR £11.99
    saddle second hand specialized ergo,almost mint £ 12.50
    come to the conclusion Im going to stick the hope brakes on
    WP_000252_zps4a1154c3.jpg
    m4 for the rear.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Why the bigger rotor rear than front?
  • I prefer larger discs all round or biased towards the rear.plus putting the 180 at the front allows me to bolt on a hope mono M4 with no need for a adapter to space out the caliper.The rear M4 and 203 disc need the adapter and some washers to center the caliper.Anyone point me in the direction of a 9 speed grip shift,must be cheap :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike-discount.de have some 9speed Shimano grip shifts at a reasonable price.

My commuter runs an X0 with an X9 rear mech, love gripshifts for a commuter as they declutter the bars.

Mine is similar to yours, having worked out the gearing I needed for my commute I managed to get the range needed in a 1x9 setup to further reduce weight and cost.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Bike-discount.de have some 9speed Shimano grip shifts at a reasonable price.

My commuter runs an X0 with an X9 rear mech, love gripshifts for a commuter as they declutter the bars.

Mine is similar to yours, having worked out the gearing I needed for my commute I managed to get the range needed in a 1x9 setup to further reduce weight and cost.
    I hated grip shift after having them on my first mtb a saracen exile,I couldn't get on with them after engaging gears while jumping things.But rohloff on my helios certainly changed my views on grip shift,nowt wrong with rapids but I find myself thinking about shifts with rapids.While the grip shift is pretty much automatic.Thanks for the heads up :)
  • Hello just wondering where you got the derailleur hanger from for the commencal normal and also what year is it?
    Thanks
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I'm loving the look of this but those riser bars like already mentioned just look to big but that frame looks great imo 8) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just looked closer at the pics, I have the exact same bash at home, came off a GT Chucker as I recall.

Also have the same Mech on the back of my Retro bike (1997 Fuji Nevada).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.