Anyone using Chapeau! clothing?

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Quite tempted by this offer: http://www.chapeaucycling.co.uk/winter- ... stral.html
To replace my falling to pieces jacket and threadbare bibs. A bit steep, but looks like it may be worth it. Has anyone got any experience of Chapeau clothing? I like to support companies like this, but after a negative experience with ShuttVR, I'm interested in feedback for Chapeau.

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I only have a ss jersey of the more casual variety. Not worn much since I got it in December... well made though..
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • I have a few of their 'Cafe' jerseys. They are comfortable and seem well made.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I use their chamois cream and very good it is too!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    got this - http://www.chapeaucycling.co.uk/cafe-je ... white.html

love it.

But, I only wear it occasionally, it does not take the abuse that some of my other gear gets, so cant really comment on longevity etc.
  • PBo
    edited February 2014
    double post
  • MrSweary
    menthel wrote:

I hope you put something on over the top...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • menthel
    MrSweary wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Are you meant to? I love cycling in just chamois cream! Keeps me ventilated...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Thanks guys :)
  • PBo
    menthel wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    menthel wrote:

brings a new meaning to the question "what's your cadence?"
  • MrSweary
    menthel wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    menthel wrote:

It's not mandatory. Stops people wheel sucking I suppose. Well, most people.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    menthel wrote:
    Got to disagree with this. I got a tube after I finished my tub of Assos and the Chapeau one is too thin, its OK for an hour or 2 but after 3 hours it feels like there's nothing there. I've gone back to the Assos and won't be purchasing the Chapeau stuff again. Disappointing really as I'd rather my cash supported a UK based company rather than some Swiss group, but even more than that I need a comfy ride!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • menthel
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Got to disagree with this. I got a tube after I finished my tub of Assos and the Chapeau one is too thin, its OK for an hour or 2 but after 3 hours it feels like there's nothing there. I've gone back to the Assos and won't be purchasing the Chapeau stuff again. Disappointing really as I'd rather my cash supported a UK based company rather than some Swiss group, but even more than that I need a comfy ride!

Each to there own! I have happily done 11 hours in the saddle with it. I don't like the menthol containing stuff personally as I just don't like the tingliness. Not sure if you got the menthol containing one or not.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    http://road.cc/content/review/89469-cha ... mois-cream

Looks like the methol stuff is thinner than the original. I only us the original so that may be part of it.
    RIP commute...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mine was in a white tube, so the menthol one. Anyway, it definitely got the thumbs down from me.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I ahve one of their cycling caps, which isnt a lot of help. Its a cap and serves as a cap well, as does virtually any cotton cap. It was a tad overpriced but I quite like it.

I quite like a the tingle of of menthol Chamois. I'm an Assos convert. Any crap I've spouted in the past that sudocream is just as good can be treated as no longer valid.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited February 2014
    notsoblue wrote:
    Quite tempted by this offer: http://www.chapeaucycling.co.uk/winter- ... stral.html
    To replace my falling to pieces jacket and threadbare bibs. A bit steep, but looks like it may be worth it. Has anyone got any experience of Chapeau clothing? I like to support companies like this, but after a negative experience with ShuttVR, I'm interested in feedback for Chapeau.

They were doing this offer in Peloton & Co - Spitalfields, had to restrain from trying on the jacket, looked quite smart.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    I quite like a the tingle of of menthol Chamois. I'm an Assos convert. Any crap I've spouted in the past that sudocream is just as good can be treated as no longer valid.

I'm glad you wrote that - I tried Sudocream to start with and it was terrible (it is, after all, designed to do a completely different job) - got Assos and never looked back. Though it's a shame it no longer tingles....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH