Specialized Mindset Headset Assembly (Allez 2007)

DLH1985
DLH1985 Posts: 56
edited February 2014 in Workshop
So I thought I would take apart my headset and give it a clean up. I got so busy cleaning the damn thing that I'm now looking at all the parts on the floor and wondering how the hell to put it back together again properly. Any help would be much appreciated...

This is how it is at the moment (but I can feel some play in the headset :( )

Top cap and spacer (3mm gap for topcap)
Stem
Spesh conical spacer
Two thin metal shims
Bearing dust cover O-ring to protect against the weather
Compression ring
Angled race, facing down
Caged bearing (bearings facing up into the angled race) [Mindset doesn't have cartridge bearings]
[Spesh Mindset cups pre-installed into headtube]
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ [fork]
Angled race, facing down
Caged bearing, facing up
Crown race

Have I got the angled races the wrong way round? Or the order of the caged bearing and race?
Or are the caged bearings specific to the top/bottom of the headset and need to be switched around?

Any help is much appreciated, I can't find much about this type of headset except recommendations on how to remove it for sealed cartridge bearings (I don't really want to do this as it's worked fine for the last few years - until I started mucking about with it...)

Comments

• Pics to help show the angled races / caged bearings
  • These mindset headsets are arubbish - get the cups knocked out (or DIY it) and use an intigrated headset. Been disucssed before several times this topic links to other in the series.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12931817

PS - I had one on my Spesh Sectuer but to be honest I can't really remember how to assemble it as I took one look at it and got the cups knocked out!!

PPS - Please get some heli tape to protect that head tube from any more cable rub damage please! Its breaking my heart to see that!
  • Haha, duly noted. It's my winter hack so it doesn't get as much TLC as it probably should