Waterproof overshoes

shanta
shanta Posts: 278
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

Can anyone suggest some tried and trusted waterproof overshoes please.

Comments

• Either one of these are good:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec011695

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec011694

But overshoes will never be a good as a dedicated pair of winter shoes/ boots. If you can afford it go for that option instead of overshoes
  • shanta
    Cheers for that, i have the MTB ones and they are not that good for keeping your feet dry , but the other ones look good. Ta...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If its absolutely p!ssing it down, you're feet get wet. that's that. (through the bottoms where your shoe vent is and down the legs)

I have Pearl Izumi ones which are amazing at keeping my feet dry for any drizzle but crucially, warm when it's cold and wet
  • shanta
    Sorry, i obvioulsy realise that none will be watertight, i only meant waterproof in terms of repelling the water off the main body those Endura ones with the rubbery coating look pretty good.
  • I have the Endura's and are good for a shower or two but if it's really wet, water does get in, importantly though, that has never led to cold feet even out for 3+hours.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MT500s - flimsy soles and even flimsier zips; lasted no time for me. BBB are far better quality.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Agree with the MT500's comment above. Poor build quality IMO. Zip broke on mine the 3rd time of using.

I have the Sportiful No Rain ones. Great at keeping them warm and dry. But like whats been said. There comes a point when its sooo wet, that your feet eventually get wet. These prolong this IMO and when the inevitability does happen, keeps them warm.
  • shanta
    No longer available MartinGT...damn
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Ooops sorry just got the link without checking

Try CRC
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,164
    Rolf F wrote:
    MT500s - flimsy soles and even flimsier zips; lasted no time for me. BBB are far better quality.

I agree - look quite robust but a 20m walk on smooth vinyl floor at work and rubber 'sole' and beading started to detatch after a few weeks, also quite bulky with Shimano MTB shoes and tend to catch crankarm, even though I don't have wide feet. +1 for BBB
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I'd describe the Endura MT500s as drizzle resistant rather than waterproof. They are mountain biking overshoes so the road versions might be better from road spray.
    I agree with other comments about the quality - I had a pair which I used only for road riding to work for 12 months and the soles got all ragged, the sides tore and the zips broke.

I've changed to BBB Speedflex, but it's not been wet enough yet to give a verdict on how waterproof they are.
  • Cant beat the Ozzo overshoes IMHO.

Blurb is as follows and I have to agree they are more durable and water repellent than any others.
    Designed to help keep you dry for as long as possible. Made from 3mm Neoprene. Zipped heel and cut-outs for cleats. Heel and toe scuff protection. Strong YKK Zip.

http://www.inmotionproducts.com/OZZO-Bl ... s--157.htm
  • shanta
    What about PU coated shoes, any good? Or does the PU peel/perish?
  • If keeping feet dry is the priority, plastic bags work very well indeed. Wet shoes but not wet feet.
  • MT500's....agree with comments...my soles shredded in no time followed by the zips giving up
  • shanta
    Any one got SealSkinz or Endura Deluge?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    PRO NPU Tarmac. They're a neoprene overshow and work extremely well at keeping the water out. They also keep your feet warm when its freezing cold or the water has eventually seeped through.

I've been using mine over the past few weeks and (other than fully submerging my feet in floods last weekend) have had warm dry feet. I rode 54 miles in rain at 0C a couple of weeks back and these overshoes kept the rain out for the entire ride.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    MattC59 wrote:
    PRO NPU Tarmac. They're a neoprene overshow and work extremely well at keeping the water out. They also keep your feet warm when its freezing cold or the water has eventually seeped through.

I've been using mine over the past few weeks and (other than fully submerging my feet in floods last weekend) have had warm dry feet. I rode 54 miles in rain at 0C a couple of weeks back and these overshoes kept the rain out for the entire ride.

Another vote here for the PRO Tarmac NPU. They're a tw*t to get on but material is thick and warm and feet stay dry in light rain and dryish in moderate rain. They are also the only overshoes I have had that haven't torn and fallen to pieces after a dozen rides. they are in fact still perfectly intact after two winters.
  • shanta
    Struggling to find the Pro NPU's anywhere, seems to not be available. is it something to do with rebranding too Shimano?

Would these be the same..http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tar ... 59447.html ?
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    would say they are likely to be the same overshoes. 'PRO' = SHIMANO as you've probably sussed.
  • shanta
    Oredered some Shimano's, thanks for your comments everyone.
  • I see you have ordered some but I really get on with north wave overshoes. Made out of wetsuit neoprene so not waterproof when soaked but they do keep you warm. Even with cheap cotton socks from tescos! My only niggle is the zip can be a bit fiddle at times.