Classics contenders

13»

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    We've heard it. It's rubbish.
    hitchhikers_tv_7.jpg
    Brain the size of a f4ck1ng planet and they tell me to babysit bed-wetters and spectrum envelope jobs
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    You moving to Gent, DG?

:)
    Maybe i'll tell you about it sometime :D
    Please don't. We had someone on here who kept on banging on about moving to Belgium so much that we collectively blanked it from our minds.

Man, I'd hate to be that guy
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I would like to see Gilbert have a hit out at flanders, if he went full gas on one of the last climbs the race would surely explode
  • I would like to see Gilbert have a hit out at flanders, if he went full gas on one of the last climbs the race would surely explode

Hopefully this will come to pass this season although the trouble with RVV is that there is a fair run in and I'm not sure he can gap the likes of FC and TB enough beforehand.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I would like to see Gilbert have a hit out at flanders, if he went full gas on one of the last climbs the race would surely explode
    He's tried for a couple of years. He just announced he won't ride Flanders this year, fully concentrating on San Remo and the Ardennes
  • outsiders: Mathieu Ladagnous FdJ - cracking ride in Flanders last year
  • Add Offredo to that list then, back after his ban, always good in San Remo
  • Great form from Van Keirsbulck in Qatar at the moment. A big strong lad who might play a pivotal role for his team in a race like P-R
    @JaunePeril

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Degenkolb - outsider for RVV? Though I might change my mind come the PTP :D
  • Has Cancellara shown anything yet this year?

I struggle to pay attention to anything before the 1st of March...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    IAM_Cycling_Sylvain_Chavanel_b.jpg

Could we see something from him & his new colleagues? In spite of yet another black kit that is!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Has Cancellara shown anything yet this year?
    Not really. He was 4th in the Qatar TT today and 5th in the Dubai Tour.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Has Cancellara shown anything yet this year?

I struggle to pay attention to anything before the 1st of March...
    Nah, 4th and 5th in Qatar and Dubai TT against a mediocre field. He's consistently rubbish in those pre season races. He'll be there again for the Tirreno or Eroica
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/demare- ... r-of-qatar
    FDJ seem to have a glut of reasonable classics contenders?
  • RichN95.
    Crampeur wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/demare-on-the-double-on-the-corniche-at-tour-of-qatar
    I'm not convinced. Offredo is their best bet. A Frenchman to look out for is Turgot (AG2R) again
  • Crampeur wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/demare-on-the-double-on-the-corniche-at-tour-of-qatar

Certainly not to be ruled out. I predict a French cycling renaissance this year (famous last words)
    @JaunePeril

• RonB wrote:

Could we see something from him & his new colleagues? In spite of yet another black kit that is!

I think he's off the leash this year unlike previous years. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't a player.
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95.
    RonB wrote:

I think he's off the leash this year unlike previous years. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't a player.
    However, some have suggested that he's had his best days when he's been the no.2 option. He tends to flounder a little when he's the sole leader.
  • RichN95.
    I can't even be bothered to work out how to do photoshop properly, but:

4os4.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95 wrote:
    RonB wrote:

However, some have suggested that he's had his best days when he's been the no.2 option. He tends to flounder a little when he's the sole leader.

I think that's as much his physical attributes (or lack of) rather than his head.

He's very good from far out - all his best results have come from that - but really does lack that explosiveness for those 3-4 min efforts. He's just very powerful for long periods of time.

The #2 role suits that kind of effort - less likely to be marked - go from further out, etc.
  • Cummings?
    @JaunePeril

• No. He's an Indian, not a Chief
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I think this thread needs a little revision after the races we have seen so far this season.

Who is your favourite/the biggest disappointment at the moment?

For me, clearly, the main contenders for the next races are Valverde and Kwiatkowski. They both seem to be miles away from the rest of the peleton. Valverde showed great performance (not only)over the weekend and I was surprised how good he was especially on Sunday. On the other hand, Kwiato looked so comfy as he joined Sagan in the breakaway and the final climb was a heavyweight K.O. Not to mention his previous victories and the TT, in which he beat Tony Martin.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    May well have peaked too early.

Kwiatkowski could be in for TA though
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    True, they could have done, but I hope not !
    Looks like TA is one of his main goals too, so I think he is where he wanted to be.