What is a normal amount of servicing?

yertez
yertez Posts: 80
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I would like to compare levels of maintenance for MTBers....

I bought a Specialized Rockhopper 2009 in 2012. It was in VGC, having only been used as a commuter.
(My first "proper" MTB)

Since then I have done about ~400 miles of sandy mudplugging, ~400 on road, ~100 or so around forests, some jump tracks, Peebles black, Afan Forest "the Wall", Marin Trail at Bala, and a few other random long-ish rides.
Here's what I have replaced roughly in order:

Swapped the smooth commuter tyres for Panaracer Fires
Two pairs of brake discs
New pedals - bearings went at Peebles (replaced originals with XT SPDs)
New chain (old one snapped 12 miles from home)
HG-50 cassette + middle chain ring (to cure jumping after new chain)
Second new pair of brake pads
New ball bearings front and back + re-pack with grease
Two new inner tubes courtesy of combination of The Marin Trail + hardtail + not enough pressure (as it was v greasy)
New bottom bracket cassette (stone disguised as a bush dispatched the old one)
Numerous re-adjustments of the gear change cable tensions to keep shifts running properly
Replaced two broken rear wheel spokes (after high tides opened up a hidden casm in our usual track)
Re-true the rear wheel
New rear brake pads
Next job: Un seize Rock Shox Dart 3 forks

In fact the only moving parts that have worked without any real maintenance are the Panaracer Fires and the Tektro hydraulic brakes.

Is this level of maintenance normal ?
Guessing it is.

Are there any particular makes that involve less servicing than others?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sand is a killer of all things mechanical, s given the 400 miles of it, yes it's normal, if it were 400 miles of say Cannock I'd say not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Surprised you've only changed your rear pads as most braking is done with the front.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • yertez
    Yeah, the mud plugging is mainly on the flat so I think pad wear is mainly from abrasion rather than from actual braking (our mud is perfect grinding paste).
    And the back maybe gets more muck on it ..?
  • Who cares! They are cheap and you should be replacing yourself anyway.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    mini_death wrote:
    Surprised you've only changed your rear pads as most braking is done with the front.

Most people drag their back brake though, so it gets a lot more use. The power comes from the front, but it's used more sparingly.
  • yertez
    Chunkers - yep, its all my own work !
    Some of it OK :)
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    lots of emergency maintenance (bearings) that may have been avoided with preventative maintenance, but as your in sand it can be difficult keeping everything clean.

All the wear parts and adjustments are par for the course
    FCN 12