Campag 11s front mech issue

Peetee
Peetee Posts: 20
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Just done a job i have done a million times over with various bikes and parts but for the first time with campag 11 speed. I have swapped an Athena crankset from a 53-39 to a compact 50-34 (I think, but enough of the pointless numbers- they are comparable items from the same group and year). The prob I have is that the front mech will not tuck in enough to clear the chain in 1st gear. This is nothing to do with the adjuster screw or mech angle or height. What's happening is the mech is so tucked in that the inner and outer swinging sections of the mech are touching. It's as if the crankset is too close to the centreline but, as these cranks are not adjustable for chainline I don't see how I can cure this......

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Are the correct bearings installed on the new crank - not too shallow?
  • Peetee
    Peetee Posts: 20
    As this is a Power Torque crankset the bearings are as supplied. ie. the drive side bearing is supplied fixed to the crank. as this bearing sits in the BB cup and is retained by a spring clip the distance of the crank from the centreline of the bike is non-adjustable.... unless I am missing something.