Mechanical disk brakes and Campagnolo Xenon

deejay.
deejay. Posts: 665
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about chopping in my winter bike for a 'crosser. Budget is limiting so I'll probably exchange the frame, leaving me with my running gear: Campagnolo Xenon (I'd prefer to use Campagnolo anyway!!) I'd want to go for disks if possible, so the question is, which mechanical disks should I go for which would work well with Xenon, and would give me decent progressive stopping power? This last point is important as at 86kg I'm no lightweight!

All thoughts and input appreciated!

Cheers,

Deej
He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

Comments

• deejay.
    deejay. Posts: 665
    No thoughts anyone? Or did I ask a really dumb question?
    He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...
  • I am on Campagnolo and Hayes CX5 and happy

fugio_zpsad4b8194.jpg

Most rear hubs for disc don't come with a Campagnolo option... I use a Shimano cassette and a JTek shift mate behind the derailleur
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,064
    I know of 3 disc hubs that come with a Campag freehub option; DT Swiss (pricey), Novatec (rare) and Velocity (no UK availability) so that may be your biggest issue.

I had a set up on my cross bike using Veloce Ergos and Avid BB7 road disc brakes. I could never get them right, despite using compression less cable housing (Nokon) and changing the pads, they would be okay when set up but require adjustment after every ride. I'm not sure if the issue was with the amount of cable pull of the levers or the BB7s but I got so fed up with it that I went back to cantilevers.

I still want discs but will go Shimano hydraulic when my budget allows.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You're best option is to find a Shimano-splined, Campagnolo-spaced cassette - Campagnolo-splined disc hubs are nearly as scarce as rocking-horse-poo. I've had no problems running ergos and disc brakes - but do fit decent cables. The best cable discs are TRP HyRds
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • You can get a Campagnolo fit for your rear hub, but you need to purchase the Novatec D712 SB hub from BDOP cycling, which I believe is the only retailer who sell them in Campag flavour too. It's a good hub
  • DCR wheels recently supplied me with the Novatec hub and Campagnolo freehub for a small additional charge
  • Royce do a very nice (and very expensive) Campag disc hub and I think that a Campag compatible Hope Evo 2 is also available.
    I used to run Avid BB7s with 10 speed Veloce levers and Royce hubs and it worked extremely well.
    I've subsequently bought a pair of Hope hubs that run with a 10 speed Shimano cassette/RD and the Veloce levers and BB7s. I wanted a 32 teeth climbing gear and Shimano was the best way forward. I use a Shiftmate to handle the different cable pulls. It's a great set-up.
    On my new bike I'm using 11 speed Chorus levers with TRP Spyre brakes.
    So far, I'm not overly impressed but I haven't done enough miles to really bed the brakes in.
    They currently feel very spongy.
    FWIW, the rear is 9 speed XT on the Royce hubs (I swapped the cassette carrier).

• Don't Miche produce a Campagnolo spaced, Shimano splined cassette?
  • Don't Miche produce a Campagnolo spaced, Shimano splined cassette?

Yes, 10 speed only. I am on 9 and therefore use the Shift mate