"Superstar Delta pedals"

MC2014
MC2014 Posts: 34
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

As most of you already know the "superstar nano tech/thru pin" flat pedals are a big hit with a lot of people.

I almost purchased a set myself until noticing the new "superstar Delta pedals" that have just been released in January 2014.

My question is has anybody else seen these or even purchased a pair for yourself?

How do the compare to the "superstar nano tech/ nanothru pin" pedals?

Superstar say that the delta pedals are the new upgrade to the nano tech/ nano thru pin?

Due to being very new I haven't seen any reviews on these but they claim them to be 10% lighter and 20% thinner etc.

Before I purchase a set of the "superstar nano thru pin" pedals I just wanted to get your view on the "superstar delta" pedals? are they worth the extra £18? are they that much of an upgrade?

"superstar nano thru pin pedals" £37
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=194

"superstar delta pedals" £55
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=866

Thankyou in advance.

Martin.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They're based on (if not actually are) a decent HT pedal. I had some to test for a while that were similar, they were ok but not that comfy underfoot, and not as grippy as pedals like the dmr or the new RF pedals.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Mbr gave the deltas 7/10, which isn't great by their standards, they said the bearings have play in them and they aren't too grippy. I would get the nano techs over the nano thru pins, as they are more grippy, lighter, and replacing pins when they get ripped out takes about 30 seconds and you can get 20 spares for £3
  • Go to tisprings.com
    They are doing ti axle pedals for £55 and under 300g!

http://www.ti-springs.com/-Pedals/cat18 ... 07776.aspx
  • MC2014
    Thanks guys, cqc apprantly the thru pin pedal would be easier to replace the pins the the grub screws? say if you took a rock hit?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Those ti springs are also ht pedals. Use the same axle system as the deltas I believe, so as likely to develop play.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cqc
    Hi, thing is, if you rock strike the nano techs, which I have many times, they are likely to get ripped out, and so just need replacing. If the thru pins get rock strikes, they may bend, so they will not fit through their exit holes, and the can be very hard to straighten.
  • MC2014
    Cqc wrote:
    Hi, thing is, if you rock strike the nano techs, which I have many times, they are likely to get ripped out, and so just need replacing. If the thru pins get rock strikes, they may bend, so they will not fit through their exit holes, and the can be very hard to straighten.

im sure a junior hack saw would sort that out in now time if bent? cut straight then unscrew from the other side?

But if the grub screw snapped off flush ive heard its much more harder to remove, the only option would be to drill it out?

I think ill go with the thru pins to be honest for those reasons and I don't mind the little more weight.
  • Hello the deltas are a completely unique pedal designed by ourselves and not available anywhere else. I tested the external bearing ones in the link above and they were very poor lifespan wise. Apart from looking like a pedal they have nothing in common with those.

You won't find these elsewhere so reviews will be limited. there are a couple of hundred sets out there in the first 2 weeks of sale.

The magazine samples have only just gone out so I don't know what that Mbr review was for? Can you post a link or issue number so I can check it out.

Any questions fire them over. Neil (superstar)

Ps there is a half price titanium axle
    upgrade offer coming in a day or two.....
  • Cqc
    I get what your saying op, but the thru pins have less grip too, and the tech pins dont Really ever snap , they just get ripped out. Neil, I don't know when it was, maybe 4 month's ago
  • Definitely not a review of our delta pedal then. They only arrived a couple if weeks ago.

Ti axles are half price for a week

Neil (superstar)
  • Cqc
    Well, they have been advertising in mbr for ages, so I think they've been around for a while
  • Cqc wrote:
    Well, they have been advertising in mbr for ages, so I think they've been around for a while

How? lol :D:D

Neil is a director at Superstar Components, I am sure he knows if he has sent pedals out for review :D:D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    They've been advertised as 'coming soon' or similar.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Cqc
    Ah, maybe mbr got them before they were released then? I've got no clue, but they were DEFINITELY reviewed a while ago, so...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you say they were (but can't find the review), SS say they weren't. And you think they'd know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Maybe MBR have a time machine...
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i'm after another set of pedals for a bike build and was looking at the superstar ones but came across some wellgo mg1s in the local bike shop that the guy working there said are better and much lighter

if they are the same or similar design to the nanos they should be fine bearing wise, i've hit my nano thru pin pedals on rocks and made a mess of them but still run fine with no play in the bearings.

Its just the metal pins that could have been better as they have rusted and look awful.
  • bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    my white nano techs have been on my bike for ages, there is next to no paint on the pedals(due to white being painted not annodised), with some high grade (black) long aggressive pins in them, never once have I even thought about needing to service them, never have I needed to, spin perfect, nice and smooth, grip like shit to a blanket.

did the guy in the shop happen to have some mg1's sat on the shelf? I will never use any other pedals now, I will be trying the new deltas on my next build, I'm sure they will be just as good, if not ill go back to the nano techs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mbr have only one pedal review on their website......E13's from 2 years ago!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mg1 and the nanos are the two best medium priced pedals around, won't go wrong with either.
  • Cqc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Mbr have only one pedal review on their website......E13's from 2 years ago!
    Yeah, but their website is fucked up- it has practically nothing on it. Eg they have tested gusset oxide xls recently too, but they don't come up on the website...