A 'dead spot' in my RS forks travel

moltryn
moltryn Posts: 37
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.. I've recently changed damaged lowers on my RockShox Recons (2009, 130mm, solo air) to lowers from a set of Revelations. The swap-over involved a full strip-down, thorough clean, re-lube and re-assembly etc and all went perfectly well. However, after a couple of rides they seemed to have developed what I can only describe as a 'dead-spot' in the travel - around 5-10mm. It was not there when the swap-over was done initially.

When weighted, the forks drop down this 5-10mm before the suspended travel kicks-in. When I lift the front end (e.g. standing still) they extend-out by the same measure. There's a dull clunk/click sound and feel when they do this in either direction. I have deflated and re-inflated them to see if that pushed-out this dead-spot, but no joy. It's not particularly noticeable when riding the bike, but nonetheless it's one of those annoying little issues!

Can anyone advise what this problem may be, and how to resolve it? Is there a bigger problem underlying here? Is it something in the compatibility of Recons vs Revelations lowers?
Thanks kindly in advance!
2012 GT Fury 2.0
2011 GT Avalanche 1.0
2009 GT XCR 5.0
2007 GT Aggressor 1.0
2009 GT Tour
2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The lowers should be fine. I can only suggest take the, apart again and make sure all the spacers and o rings/washers are in the right order and seated.
  • Thanks Supersonic.. was considering doing that again, but was concerned too that there might be something more problematic going on? Everything was fine initially so found it odd that it developed this after a few rides.

Cheers for your response!
    2012 GT Fury 2.0
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0
    2009 GT XCR 5.0
    2007 GT Aggressor 1.0
    2009 GT Tour
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    If that fails Maybe check that the air reservoir is screwed on tightly ?
  • Thanks Cqc, will do!
    2012 GT Fury 2.0
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0
    2009 GT XCR 5.0
    2007 GT Aggressor 1.0
    2009 GT Tour
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0